Trouble upgrading an old IPB 3.X forum to 4.7.6

Go to solution Solved by Alon Jacobi,

Hi, 

I have a very old 3.X board I am desperately trying to upgrade to 4.7.6.  

I have followed the instructions in the upgrade guide, copied the new files over the old ones, changed the PHP version to 8.0 and attempted the upgrade.  

During the conversion to UTF8 phase it gets stuck on a table called "tapatalk_push_data" at 83.97% and get stuck there forever. if I try to refresh the page or resume the conversion, I get an error message saying "Error: Invalid default value for 'updated' File: /system/Db/Db.php Line: 198"

Any help here would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Alon Jacobi

removing Tapatalk -> delete the mobiquo folder and delete the two tapatalk tables from the DB?

Also - would upgrade work if I just take the fresh code of 4.7.6 (not copy over the old folder) and just copy over the conf_global file for the configuration?  I know I would lose any add-ons, smileys and such, but I would retain all the DB data?

28 minutes ago, Alon Jacobi said:

removing Tapatalk -> delete the mobiquo folder and delete the two tapatalk tables from the DB?

Also - would upgrade work if I just take the fresh code of 4.7.6 (not copy over the old folder) and just copy over the conf_global file for the configuration?  I know I would lose any add-ons, smileys and such, but I would retain all the 

I would recommend reaching out to Tapatalk for the best way of uninstalling. As it is their application, they are the best source. I can’t remember if it had an ACP component in version 3 so if it did, you’ll want to remove anything there too.

Right now, you are getting stuck on a database conversion to UTF8 so nothing in the folder is preventing this from working so I would not go that far yet. However, you only need the database to perform an upgrade. That will carry all your data. 

Thank you all for your advice.  It has worked and I was able to bypass the conversion stage and finish the upgrade.  

However, after the upgrade I am not able to log in.  When I try to click on sign in I get the following error Could contain: Text, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Electronics

I could not find in the admin CP support tool anything to restore the default theme or anything.  

This is what I am seeing in the logs:

Error: Class "\IPS\Helpers\Form\Captcha\Default" not found in /home/techstu2/public_html/ipb_qa/system/Helpers/Form/Captcha.php:43
Stack trace:
#0 /home/techstu2/public_html/ipb_qa/system/Theme/Theme.php(885) : eval()'d code(807): IPS\Helpers\Form\_Captcha::supportsModal()
#1 /home/techstu2/public_html/ipb_qa/system/Theme/SandboxedTemplate.php(61): IPS\Theme\class_forums_front_topics->post(Object(IPS\forums\Topic), Object(IPS\forums\Topic\Post), 'topic_comment', 'forums', 'forums', 'forums_Topic')
#2 /home/techstu2/public_html/ipb_qa/system/Theme/Theme.php(885) : eval()'d code(2654): IPS\Theme\_SandboxedTemplate->__call('post', Array)
#3 /home/techstu2/public_html/ipb_qa/system/Theme/SandboxedTemplate.php(61): IPS\Theme\class_forums_front_topics->postContainer(Object(IPS\forums\Topic), Object(IPS\forums\Topic\Post), Array, '')
#4 /home/techstu2/public_html/ipb_qa/system/Theme/Theme.php(885) : eval()'d code(5101): IPS\Theme\_SandboxedTemplate->__call('postContainer', Array)
#5 /home/techstu2/public_html/ipb_qa/system/Theme/SandboxedTemplate.php(61): IPS\Theme\class_forums_front_topics->topic(Object(IPS\forums\Topic), Array, NULL, Array, NULL, NULL, Array)
#6 /home/techstu2/public_html/ipb_qa/applications/forums/modules/front/forums/topic.php(576): IPS\Theme\_SandboxedTemplate->__call('topic', Array)
#7 /home/techstu2/public_html/ipb_qa/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(118): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\_topic->manage()
#8 /home/techstu2/public_html/ipb_qa/system/Content/Controller.php(50): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#9 /home/techstu2/public_html/ipb_qa/applications/forums/modules/front/forums/topic.php(39): IPS\Content\_Controller->execute()
#10 /home/techstu2/public_html/ipb_qa/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(153): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\_topic->execute()
#11 /home/techstu2/public_html/ipb_qa/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#12 {main}

11 minutes ago, Alon Jacobi said:

But I do not see that I am missing any files.  When I upgraded I extracted the entire zip file over the old directory of the forum.   Which file seems to be missing from this error?

Unfortunately the error means that the class mentioned there cannot be reached, thus a file is missing. You are missing files from the latest release, not your version 3 Community. 

I did a full file text search for "IPS\Helpers\Form\Captcha\Default"  on the contents of all files in the 4.7.6 directory and I could not find any references to it.  Can this be something coming from the DB?

looking at the core_themes table I see the following: 

Could contain: Page, Text, File

maybe this key "default" there is what it is looking for?

22 minutes ago, Alon Jacobi said:

did a full file text search for "IPS\Helpers\Form\Captcha\Default"  on the contents of all files in the 4.7.6 directory and I could not find any references to it. 

Please upload a fresh copy of files from the Client Area. Either something failed or otherwise. This is not from the database. 

Ok here is exactly what I have done now step by step. 

1. I downloaded a fresh copy of the files from my client area (version 4.7.7 now). 

2. I copied the zip file over the public_html folder of my server. 

3. I extracted the contents of the zip file 

4. I entered the folder it created, selected all the files and folders within and copied them over to my forum directory.

I refreshed my site and tried to log in, got the same error now.