Version upgrade 4.77 - Problems upgrading

usmf

I am trying to upgrade as recommended and the automated upgrade process is not working. 

When I attempt to  complete the upgrade it is stuck at the first step and only toggles between 2 screens: Third Party Resource Check and the Large Database Update notice.

Any suggestions to get this to work?

I disable all plugins before attempting to upgrade.

Am I seeing this correctly, to manually update I am essentially doing  fresh install of the application?

If that is the case, what will happen to all of the customizations that have been done to the sites?

I am very worried this is going to go bad.

You are not doing a fresh install. You want to only follow what is under "Manual Upgrade". I have copied that below for you:

Manual Upgrade

Simply login to the client area and download a full package of software, and unzip the archive to your computer. It will create a folder named "ips_xxxxx" where xxxxx is a random string of characters. Then use an FTP client such as Filezilla and upload the contents of the ips_xxxxx folder (not the folder itself) to your forum main directory, overwriting when prompted and making sure all files transfer without error.

You will then go to your site and /admin/upgrade such as example.com/admin/upgrade and login with your AdminCP credentials. The upgrade system will scan you install to confirm that all files are up to date before proceeding. If it reports any are wrong then be sure you uploaded all files properly. 

I spoke with our site manager and all updates and patches are completed when alerted of the patch.  How can you force a fresh install when one patch was missed. the site is checked on a daily basis.

Where can I find a list of the updates and patches to see the date that the patch was suppose to be done?

8 minutes ago, usmf said:

I spoke with our site manager and all updates and patches are completed when alerted of the patch.  How can you force a fresh install when one patch was missed. the site is checked on a daily basis.

Where can I find a list of the updates and patches to see the date that the patch was suppose to be done?

We are trying to have you obtain the update. You are not doing a fresh install. The steps provided will not impact your community negatively.

You cannot apply a patch once the upgrade is available. You will need to perform the manual upgrade as mentioned.

2 minutes ago, usmf said:

I am on a mac, will it create any problems if I expand the zip on my mac and upload the files to the server?

It will not. (Most our team runs on Macs 🙂 )

Sometimes macOS creates .DS_Store files in directories when extracting but they will not interfere with the software, you will just want to have your hosting provider remove any if yours has done this.

I have questions:

1) The file structure in the zip file to be uploaded is not the same.  Do I just add the folders to the root directory
    a) Folders in the zip file but not the working site
         Plugins
         system
         datastore
         applications
         api
         uploads
         oauth

b) The only folder that is in the current site is "admin" and there are multiple directories in that folder. Do I need to copy the individual files for the admin directory? Am I going to find more differences?

Clear instructions would be beneficial.

thanks

this is on a dedicated server, I set up the site and know where everything is.  I can give you access to the site as well as ftp access so you can see for yourself what the file structure is.  Here is  video of me looking through the file structure so you can see how the site is set up and that the folders are not in the root of the site.

https://www.loom.com/share/ecaa2af867f541efaae014cb9f290723