Display problems on phones and tablets

Hello, 🙂

Some of my board's members have reported display problems on phones and tablets. They say there are horizontal lines, like on the below photograph :

Could contain: Text, Mobile Phone, Phone, Electronics

As for me, each time I switch my tablet on, I look at my board in Safari browser and I see my board is 200% bigger than it should be. So, each time, I have to reduce it's size because it's too big.

Do you know how I can fix these problems ?

Thank you. 🙂

Edited by SecondSight

So, I have been alerted to same/similar issue by one member of my board. He also observed it on another board running on Invision. I have asked my community and nobody else so far came forward as suffering from this.

I am running default theme with very minor modifications. The other board mentioned is running other theme.

I have spent some time with the member having issues and we managed to isolate this as issue likely only occuring on Android Chrome v110. They had a second phone, exact same model, that happens to run Chrome v109 and it works fine. I had them downgrade the offending device to Chrome 109 and issue did go away.

It does make me nervous as Chrome v110 gets rolled out further.

I have a video of the issue as well, should that help.

Whereas it does appear to be Chrome rendering related issue sadly it's so ubiquitous that I think it'd be best for Invision to try to get to the bottom of issue, and possible workaround

Could contain: Page, Text

Could contain: Page, Text, Person, Face, Head

Edited by PiotrR

I saw this on the weekend for myself too! And I'm on a Samsung S9 looks like I'm on Chrome 109.0.5414.118 if that helps? I actually thought my phone had died because it looked like part of the screen had been tons of lines across the screen like the top image 😅 What's strange is I haven't seen it since then on the few threads i've read on my phone.

I can probably understand the above user's concerns because the mobile 'app' works via Chrome for most users and makes up many of people's core percentage of viewers of late.

It was reported to me to happen at least on topic view page, and frequently enough to make forum borderline unusable for the user in question. I have seen a video recording in topic with small number of picture attachments and intra-board embedded topic link but I cannot assert as to whether it only happens with them. Here is example topic where I can confirm at least one user experienced that issue https://forum.karawaning.pl/topic/42011-jej-budowa-campervana/

Edited by PiotrR

It also works for me and seemingly most of the users. The one device I know to have experienced it was Hauwei Mate 20 Pro on Chrome v110. Reinstalling Chrome did not solve it but downgrade to 109 did solve, in this particular case. This could of course be a red herring. I am unable to currently update my own phone beyond v109, through the normal Play Store at least.

The user I know to have experienced it is very regular and reports only starting to encounter this last week.

Here is a video as well.

Edited by PiotrR

I run a forum with circa 5,000 users and three of them have reported the same issue as above. I can't replicate it myself but the three users have provided screengrabs which match the ones above in this thread.

I presume it therefore is a bug but (in my site's experience) only affected a certain number of users.

Is there any way of being notified if/when a bug fix is issued for this? 

Thanks!

Hmm, I can see the issue but as I mentioned I've only got three members out of 5,000-odd who are experiencing it and I'm not one of them.

However, the three that are have sent me several screengrabs and report the forum as "unusable" on a phone.

I'm not sure how I can replicate it short of borrowing their mobile phones though!

Is there any information I can try and get from them to find their specific set-up? They are all on Android and using a Chrome browser - what other information may help?

Thanks!

Seeing the issue and being able to replicate it are 2 different things and its going to need to be us who can replicate. To give an analogy here, you are saying there is an issue with your car making a noise. You know there is as your partner has recorded it, and you have sent us that recording. We know its happening, but if the car isnt making the noise when we get it, nor can you tell us how to get it to make the noise, there isnt anything present for us to fix.

Hi Marc,

What I was trying to get at is if this is a particular phone/version of Android/Chrome then if users can provide those details would that not help you to set up a phone in the same way and potentially replicate that the issue? 

I'm presuming that as neither of us can see the issue using Chrome on Android and it seems to affect a small number of users (at least in my forum's case) that there may well be some specific circumstances in which this occur.

To use your analogy - would finding out what settings these users use enable you to possibly know how to get the car to make that noise?

I have some additional observations that have emerged since last week in case of my community. 

So far I had a member who experienced following:

• Broken display on Android chrome V110
  • Reinstalling Chrome on V110 continued to yield broken display
  • Display working fine upon downgrade to Chrome V109

I have asked said member to perform some additional experiments that yielded following results

• Upon forward upgrade to Chrome v110 the display broke again
  • When installed Chrome v111 as Chrome Beta (it's separate app in the Play Store) the display works fine

All above applies to one user on one device. Addtionally my own Android Chrome now updated to v110 and display works fine. I have had additional reports from a small number of users experiencing that issue and they were reporting using Chrome v110. 

1 hour ago, PiotrR said:

I have some additional observations that have emerged since last week in case of my community. 

So far I had a member who experienced following:

• Broken display on Android chrome V110
  • Reinstalling Chrome on V110 continued to yield broken display
  • Display working fine upon downgrade to Chrome V109

I have asked said member to perform some additional experiments that yielded following results

• Upon forward upgrade to Chrome v110 the display broke again
  • When installed Chrome v111 as Chrome Beta (it's separate app in the Play Store) the display works fine

All above applies to one user on one device. Addtionally my own Android Chrome now updated to v110 and display works fine. I have had additional reports from a small number of users experiencing that issue and they were reporting using Chrome v110. 

Indeed it sounds like (and looks like) an issue with the browser itself