SSL and Cloudflare

If I'm using Cloudflare what SSL do I need on my server?

Previous to using Cloudflare I bought one from RapidSSL which is still active but expiring soon, I'm wondering would a free LetsEncrypt be enough considering its going through Cloudflare too now? Or does a paid one still have benefits?

Edited by marklcfc

You can have any valid cert or none at all. 

In your CF SSL settings, Fexible means you don’t need any SSL at origin (CF takes care of the SSL to your users). 

Full will use SSL to origin, but ANY cert (even expired) can be used.  CF won’t check the cert. 

Strict means SSL to origin AND a valid cert issued by a trusted CA must be used. 

https://developers.cloudflare.com/ssl/origin-configuration/ssl-modes/

Cloudflare supply a free origin certificate that can go onto your server. It's only for use between cloudflare and your server, so can't be used if you have direct traffic still.

https://developers.cloudflare.com/ssl/origin-configuration/origin-ca/

I wouldn't recommend using their flexible SSL, as that won't encrypt the traffic between your server and theirs. 

Not sure what to do as my hosts said this in reply to asking if I can change to standard letsencrypt on the server from the paid ssl

It could work but we can't offer any guarantee, historically we have had a lot of issues where cloudflare acting as a proxy has interrupted the acme validation for Let's Encrypt and caused it to fail.

You can turn it on to see how it goes but if there are any issues we would suggest going back to a standard certificate.

Edited by marklcfc

It won't make a difference what cert you use for 2 reasons:

1. Your current setting of Full does not validate a certificate issuer.  It just checks to see if the server is accepting requests over SSL (meaning port 443).  So it does not matter if you use Let's Encrypt, RapidSSL, or even if you generate your own self-signed cert.  The issuer is not checked at all.
  2. Even if you were to change from Full to Strict, both Let's Encrypt AND RapidSSL are valid certificate authorities (CA).  Cloudflare trusts certs issued by those CA's so it would continue to work with either even if you were to use the more secure/strict certificate validation process.