Gallery stress test

opentype

Some observations for Gallery with lots of images/albums:

I tried to upload an album with 1200 small images here on the site. Issues:

1. After the collection process, it wouldn’t move on to the upload process. 

Could contain: White Board, Page, Text

2. I then uploaded in smaller batches (e.g. 600 pictures), but after the upload process, only 391 images were actually in the album. I already learned that this is likely related to php.ini settings in regards to how many variables can be processed/submitted, but I think that the Gallery app should be proactive about it. It shouldn’t fail silently. If necessary, it should read those values and warn or reject images that couldn’t be handled. 

3. As reported in other topics and just for the sake of completeness, thumbnail listing is broken with certain album ordering settings like “caption”. 

No other issues here on the site. But on my self-hosted installations (dedicated server) I experience issues with large albums or categories. For example:
Album with 650+ images can take 16 seconds to load or fails entirely when memory_limit settings aren’t really high.  (tested on latest beta)
Category with 100+ albums can be extremely slow to load or fails entirely when memory_limit settings aren’t really high. (can’t currently reproduce on the latest beta)
I hope those queries with lots of albums and images can be tested thoroughly and be optimized. Otherwise I feel I can’t really rely on the Gallery app, if with more and more and more images, things will get slower and slower and eventually stop working. 

1/2. We do want to improve the Gallery submission process, but I'll look into whether we can add a hard limit per batch for now.

3. Our next beta should have some sorting fixes included.

Do you have any logs for slow queries? We have a number of fairly large galleries on Cloud and we're not seeing any slowness currently. It may be something specific to your MySQL/MariaDB version or just the horsepower behind the server. Any slow logs would be useful though.

On 1/30/2023 at 7:20 PM, Hisashi said:

Could this problem be reflected in a community with many people uploading at the same time?

No, this is specifically for one member submitting lots of images at once.

10 hours ago, Stuart Silvester said:

I'll look into whether we can add a hard limit per batch for now.

Just to be clear: I was suggesting a dynamic limit based on the server settings. If that is not possible, I guess it could also be an admin setting. But it shouldn’t be a hard-coded limit in the Gallery software. Some users may need large albums from one submission. 

On 1/30/2023 at 11:45 AM, Rikki said:

It's a shame the upload experience hasn't been updated, because that was the weakest part IMO.

Agreed. I used for a few minutes and I honestly see nothing new, except the NSFW stuff. The rest is just templates enhancements. I may be wrong though and will give this a try again in finally version. 

50 minutes ago, opentype said:

Just to be clear: I was suggesting a dynamic limit based on the server settings. If that is not possible, I guess it could also be an admin setting. But it shouldn’t be a hard-coded limit in the Gallery software. Some users may need large albums from one submission. 

Sorry, yes. To clarify, it would be a hard limit based on server variables.

26 minutes ago, PatrickRQ said:

Offtop, Rikki wasn't part of IPS in the past?

Yes, Rikki moved on recently

16 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Agreed. I used for a few minutes and I honestly see nothing new, except the NSFW stuff. The rest is just templates enhancements. I may be wrong though and will give this a try again in finally version. 

The biggest Gallery changes were indeed the visual overhaul, including an entirely new front page. The changes also include performance and usability improvements such as shrinking the amount of Javascript used and migrating to browser native lazyload functionality.

There's more of an overview here:

Make note of the last line of the blog too!