Upgrade asks me to use Php 8 but forum doesnt work with php8

Hello,

I want to upgrede to latest version however when I select php8 or above from my hosting I cant access forum or admin panel. It gives only balnk pages. How can I fix that?

I have another forum I succesfully upgrade with php8 on the same server but this installation gives me a problem.

It's currently 4.7 but when I switch to php 8 to upgrade it goes blank. 

9 hours ago, Ryan Ashbrook said:

While on PHP8, upload this file and navigate to it in your browser and see what it says. Alternatively, try disabling all third party applications and plugins and try switching again. One of those may not be compatible with PHP8.

All green checked and ipb version is 4.7. Couldnt detect any problems. Is there a safe mode I can activate. I suspect if a plugin doenst work with ipb 8 and causing the problem. Because there is another ipb installed with php8 on the same server.

7 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

The newer versions of IPB don’t have older support for PHP7. If you’ve not already upgraded to a version of IPB that supports PHP8, you’ll need to do a manual upgrade from the client area. 

I can try that but I'm affraid if I can stuck with a blank page after replacing files etc from ftp

The intention of recovery mode, just so you understand, is that it allows you to disable the running of any external code.

So you would be adding the recovery mode constant to say "Kill anything running that isnt default, and let me log in. And when I log in, disable all 3rd party so when I remove recovery mode, they are all disabled"

So

• Add recovery mode constant
  • remove recovery mode

You should then have access to your site again. You would then be looking for what the cause was. You can check in system logs which may give you an indication as to which broke your site, and start ensuring items are updated to the latest releases that have been sent out by the authors.

And 1 more thing, I agree with all the members above who explained you and, yes.

After you have updated your version and you are required to move to php8 because php 7.4 is no longer supported, I would recommend you to disable all plugins and applications (Third Party Ones) because that might be the reason with your forum won't work.

On recovery mode it didn't allow to make any changes. I couldnt disable apps etc it said you dont have permission to do that.

I rolled backt to php 7.4 and disabled plugins one by one and switched back to php8 each time. It was time consuming but It helped me to fix to problem.

Im root admin but interestingly recovery mode didnt allow me to do anything in admin panel. So didnt help me much other than proofing a plugin is causing the problem.

There is no “in” recovery mode. Recovery mode when enabled disables all applications when you login. You have to immediately turn it back off to do anything else in ACP

All you needed to do was remove the value from constants.php when you saw that notice. 

It’s intended to simply disable everything so you’re running on as close to a base install as possible. It is not like windows where you’re booted into a separate enviornment. 

Edited by Randy Calvert