My previous response automatically shows up when I post

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

I am not sure if it is a feature (in which case I don't understand it) or a setting but when I want to post, I immediately see the field filled with my previous post that might have been 24 hours before. It is confusing me, and I am wondering how to get rid of that, why it is that way, and if members have the same thing.

Can you help?

• Solution

Please try clearing your browser's cache and local storage. Sounds like something got messed up a tad. The feature is supposed to save what you're typing but remove it from your browser's local storage upon hitting submit.

5 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

Also...  if you start making a post, but never submit it and then leave/come back to the post, it might have the content saved as well.  (There's been a few times I've started a post that I never finished.  Came back later and it's still waiting!)

I certainly would have expected that but I knew it was submitted as it was posted and displayed and others had responded to it too.

4 hours ago, Carole Asselin said:

Not that I know of. I have a handful of Chrome extensions but nothing that relates to that. It is like SOMETIMES, it will save a draft, and spits it back out later, instead of deleting it once the post is published.

Chrome extensions are plugins so I would suggest trying in incognito to see if it has the same effect.

3 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

BTW - the above is easy to reproduce if you are really, really quick (really quick!!) with closing the page after submitting content but before the JS has run to clear the local storage autosaved content.

What puzzled me is that I would prepare for another response like the next day, so it was not that close.

And yeah, the "clear editor" is what I have used so far. And it might be quite enough anyways.

Just now, Carole Asselin said:

What puzzled me is that I would prepare for another response like the next day, so it was not that close.

The 'quick' is in relation to the cause, not the effect...if you are quick, then the autosaved info stays in the browser. You come back to it, the Editor detects it and populates etc.

This may or may not be relevant to your own situation - but the reason the Editor populates data and prompts is because the JS to clear the autosave didn't clear the autosave. That is what would need to be investigated, not the effect of it at a later point.

If it's really something you want to troubleshoot then you'll need to bring up the web developer console in your browser when you are submitting a post, and keep an eye on it for any errors.

The 'Storage' tab (Firefox) or the 'Application' tab (Chrome...dig down to the "Local Storage") will show you the autosave information as you type, and if it's there after you have posted then an error may have occurred in the submission process which has then had a knock-on effect with the clearance of the autosave entry.

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage

Edited by Nathan Explosion