Database Process Running Constantly Overloading CPU

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Ever since the last upgrade we have had load issues with mysql (mariadb). It appears a process for only ONE of the 3 IPB installs is running constantly 24/7. Does anyone know what this process is and why it running all the time? The DB and user names have been removed from the statement below.

11577 | ***       | localhost | *** | Execute |    4 | Sending data             | /*DB::USER::IPS\Helpers\Table\_Content::getRows:494*/ SELECT forums_topics.*, author.*, last_com |    0.000 |

I frequently see another statement "Creating sort index" instead of "Sending Data". If that helps.

Edited by tforums

• Solution
2 hours ago, tforums said:

Ever since the last upgrade we have had load issues with mysql (mariadb). It appears a process for only ONE of the 3 IPB installs is running constantly 24/7. Does anyone know what this process is and why it running all the time? The DB and user names have been removed from the statement below.

I frequently see another statement "Creating sort index" instead of "Sending Data". If that helps.

This is a partial query it appears. Is that the full log?

52 minutes ago, tforums said:

Is there a Bug in the system? I see a lot of these errors in the system logs:

That would likely indicate that there is an error in a custom or third party application/plugin/theme. You would want to disable those and then switch an unmodified theme to test.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

This is a partial query it appears. Is that the full log?

That would likely indicate that there is an error in acustom or third party application/plugin/theme. You would want to disable those and then switch an unmodified theme to test.

Thanks! It turns out to be the Portal 1.8.1 app causing the problem. This is odd because it is marked as 4.7.x compatible and works fine in our other installs.

UPDATE - The process list hanging / CPU load issue seems to be tied to the Portal app being set as the forum homepage. When I set the home page to the IPB System, there are no "Sending data /  Creating sort index" tasks and CPU load goes back to normal. I have confirmed the load issue can be reproduced by switching Portal back to the default forum homepage.

I have disabled the Portal for Guests, and that seems to have cooled things off, but my guess is there's still something not right. What's odd is we've had this app installed at the homepage for years without issues until the last update.

Edited by tforums

9 minutes ago, Mark H said:

In that case, we'd suggest you contact the author of that 3rd-party app for assistance in diagnosing this issue.

I am trying to, but any PM to the developer @Michael.J shows a forums error:

Sorry, there is a problem

Something went wrong. Please try again.

Edited by tforums