Upgrade from IPB 3.4.x

5 hours ago, Gary said:

I was talking about the retention of your current files on 3.4.9, which you mentioned you are upgrading from.

Then you didn't read my topic all together. Request was for 4.7.3 has terabyte suggested. But thanks for clarifying.

During renewal - nothing is mentioned that previous upgrades are not supported anywhere. I didn't even received communication from IPS that 3.4.x upgrade is EOL and upgrade will not be supported. I don't even know where Jan 2022 came to the picture. I browsed the forums, saw the post that 3.4.9 is supported and renewed the license. 

Example: 

Could contain: Text, Person, Face, Head, Page

5 hours ago, Gary said:

With regard to older versions of 4.x, we don't provide old insecure releases. If you wish to upgrade, it will need to be done on the latest release.

Again you are not understanding. Your latest release is not working for the upgrade. I don't think you are even bothered to check what issues I mentioned. This are part of your upgrade script. 

For me to use latest version, I need to be able to migrate. As of today, I can't to latest version because your latest version upgrade scripts are buggy. 

It's one thing to provide no support and completely another when upgrade script fails during execution on near vanilla IPS 3.4.9 version. 

You could have dome simple thing for me to help: Share 4.7.3 version and see how it goes and then upgrade from 4.7.3 to 4.7.6.  A simple small help could have gone long way but even that you don't do anything. 

I can't believe how IPS support is treating their customers now then how it did few years back. 

Edited by AlexJ

I guess I’m confused here… 4.7.3 uses the same exact upgrade scripts from 3.X. It’s incremental and takes the older ones and steps them up with next version changes. So the files related to old version are going to be the same. What are you gaining by this?

Also IPB has never distributed old versions of the software.  Even back in the 3.X and 2.X days… old versions were not available after a new one was released. This is by no means new or different. 

Earlier in your topic, you asked how to obtain the latest 3.4.x version. You then mentioned later on that you would raise a ticket to obtain 4.7.3 version files. Now, a third time, you have asked for 4.7.3. As I explained in my previous post, we do not provide older insecure releases, period. That is not an avenue you can take to rectify your issue. That's all I was pointing out.

Regarding notifying clients using 8-year-old software, I will put this forward to the IPS Team to see if it is something we can improve on for future clients that may experience similar issues. My mention of January 2022 is to provide you with a date of when we stopped supporting 3.x versions of the software, which I believe is relevant. Quoting a post that is two and a half years old and assuming that everything is still applicable today is not something I can be held responsible for. A lot can (and has) happened in the past two years which I have already given examples of.

Near vanilla isn't quite vanilla. What exactly has been edited? This may be beneficial to those giving you support in this topic.

Our support has not changed, despite the new faces you might see around. We always strive to do our best to support our clients. Your requests for older versions of Invision Community are just not a solution in this case. I don't want to start a tit for tat discussion in your topic, but I do hope you find a solution with the knowledge our community can provide you.

9 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

I guess I’m confused here… 4.7.3 uses the same exact upgrade scripts from 3.X. It’s incremental and takes the older ones and steps them up with next version changes. So the files related to old version are going to be the same. What are you gaining by this?

Also IPB has never distributed old versions of the software.  Even back in the 3.X and 2.X days… old versions were not available after a new one was released. This is by no means new or different. 

In an earlier reply I suggested testing with a version up to 4.7.3 and PHP 7.4 (as long as they had the files). With PHP 8 being much more strict, legacy upgrades are throwing all kinds of new errors for code that previously simply failed and/or worked silently.

Edited by teraßyte

On 1/19/2023 at 10:23 AM, teraßyte said:

In an earlier reply I suggested testing with a version up to 4.7.3 and PHP 7.4 (as long as they had the files). With PHP 8 being much more strict, legacy upgrades are throwing all kinds of new errors for code that previously simply failed and/or worked silently.

I have marked your suggestion as solution, so it help others. Long live developers like you and the Angel on this forum who helped with 4.7.3 version, while I had given up because impossible to achieve without older version. I am not going to name him or else support team, might go after him. 

The whole problem is with PHP 8.1. Downgraded PHP cli to 7.4 and apache mod php on 8.1 so other sites worked fine. Rest all went smooth - not a single issue. 

Suggestion which you made should have come from IPS and little help with older version is what all I had asked for. Sad but true, IPS give run around for a simple solution. 

Edited by AlexJ