Upgrade permissions issue?

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

So I was going to apply the latest update, and I got this message for some files:

"If you are sure the files have been uploaded correctly, make sure the permissions are set correctly on them."

The files are there, so I assume it is permissions.  Looks like they are all 644. What should I change them to in order to be "correct"?

Thank you!

Edited by olyclimber

• Solution

You will want to ensure that they are also the latest versions and unmodified. To confirm, you may wish to upload a fresh set of files from the Client Area and extract them to your computer. Once done, upload the contents of the "ips_****" folder to your server, overwriting what is there.

I'm not online yet @Jim M  ! did the manual route, but still getting this:

https://cascadeclimbers.com/forum

what am i missing to turn the forum back on? I've been scouring the backend looking for a switch..

Oh...I see...manually copying the new files over didn't upload so my framework still sees the forums and gallery as running the old version...is there a tar of just the forums and gallery I can get?

Could contain: Page, Text

After my botched upgrade in the console i went the manually uploaded all the files it told me were not present.  That allowed me to upgrade the SYSTEM.  But Forums and Gallery were not uploaded, so I followed the manual upgrade process and downloaded the full install and uploaded the whole IPS.  But now i'm stuck in this state.

Please ensure that all files are successfully uploading to their correct spot. If they didn't upgrade and not available for upgrade, sounds like something went wrong there.

I can verify the files in place are indeed old if you would like to update the FTP/SFTP access details on file.

OK...where do I update the FPT/SFTP access detail?

I did do this:

"upload the contents of the "ips_****" folder to your server, overwriting what is there."

or maybe you can just tell me a file to check?  Filezilla told me that all files uploaded successfully..but obv something is wrong 🙂

1 minute ago, olyclimber said:

OK...where do I update the FPT/SFTP access detail?

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

Looks like you will need to check your upload as files in both the forums and gallery directories have not been overwritten since December 9th.

You also have some directories owned by root and then others by another user/group so you would want to check that with your hosting provider if this is creating issues uploading files.

I went for a long bike ride and thought about this situation and if you don't read anything else,  I apologize for my rudeness/being angry @Jim M .  It was totally my fault.

I work a job where I'm compensated for giving "white glove" support for extremely complex software and I imagine supporting these forums (given what a bargain the license is) that you are not compensated enough to put up with some jerk forum owner...or even to go any sort of extra mile.

The reason I was frustrated (not an excuse) was that I had opened up a channel of communication with you (PMs) and thought (mistakenly) that you would respond to our PM exchange there when you figured things out. You did not and I waited an hour for a response there, not looking anymore into the issue as I didn't want to interfere with you work. After an hour, I messaged you and when you didn't respond, so it took me about 3 minutes to figure out that the Forum and Gallery app folders were old and not updated for some reason (probably permissions) when I uploaded whole ips_ folder using Filezilla.

Instead you had posted up your finding in the Forums in the original thread, and for whatever reason I didn't get a notification to that fact so I never checked.  

I guess another reason I was frustrated is because I asked you for something simple I could check and I could have figured out the issue pretty quickly.  Instead it seemed like you didn't want to provide that info but instead refused to work on the problem unless I updated the access you have to my board.  But really given that I knew I had a perms issue I should have known where to look (\applications\forum and applications\gallery) for file version/dates.  And again, I'm guessing your not paid enough.

When your board is down its a little stressful, no matter how big or small your forums/active user base is. I was irritated that you never responded to my PMs, but I guess it wasn't something you would normally do.   In my job I would, but again, you're probably not paid enough to worry about that sort of thing.

Yes, there is a permissions issue with my board involving root, as I said I just inherited this board and it is something on my list to fix...perhaps I should move it to the top since it will easy enough.

So,  that is my long winded explanation.  Sorry, my fault, and have a nice day.

Edited by olyclimber

Sorry to hear you were frustrated by your interaction with us here at IPS. Please allow me to explain the methods in which were followed here.

First with the PM situation. We would always update via the topic where possible. There are times where we may well respond, and log off. Therefore colleagues would be able to continue the support where we left off for the day. Ordinarily you would be informed we cannot provide support via the PM area, and you would need to post again in the topic. My colleague appears to have assisted via the PM system there somewhat instead, from what you have said. So indeed has actually gone the extra mile to assist you. Sorry if that has caused confusion of course.

With regard the issue in question, as there are so many different configurations in a self hosted environment, its not always clear what we are dealing with unless we can actually see it. The issue could well have been anything from folder permissions, file permissions, mod_security blocking, file/folder ownership on the system, Cloudflare problems, lack of the file being overwritten, an issue with the upgrader itself not picking up the correct files, caching of PHP files by the server and a myriad of other problems. Of course, you know your server environment, so know what is present. Unfortunately we don't, and therefore the 'simple check' isn't always something possible, and the correct answer really would have been to check your permissions, and if you are still having problems, to contact your hosting company for assistance. My colleague took a look for you instead, rather than you going back and forth with your hosting company, in order to see if we could get you back online quicker.

On a self hosted environment, there is only so much we can do to assist, unfortunately. While we will look in at times to see if we can assist, when it's a permissions issue. That's generally something you would go through with your hosting company. We do pride ourselves on going the extra mile at times for our customers, and of felt we had done so in checking the issues with your upload and permission issues there. Once again can only really apologise if you feel we haven't done so on this occasion.

In any event, I'm glad to see your site is back up and running.

@Marc Stridgen  the reason I had PMd was because it was not made clear that he was actually working actively on my forum (which was down at the time). So time was passing and I had no idea what whether I should continue working the issue or if he was actually looking at it.  I'm sure you can imagine that would be a stressful situation.

And he did respond there, so once that line of communication was open I naturally expected an update there. I was not aware of protocol/policy as far as updating only via forum post versus PMs.   A little bit of communication in a stressful situation can go a long ways.   

But my apology stands, live and learn.   Thank you for your follow up and I really do like this forum software and appreciate all the help I get here.

I resolved my permissions issues last night completely, it took a couple minutes.