Unable to Update to Version 4.7.6 of Invision Community

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

Since I see at least some of the files for the upgrade are in place, please perform a manual upgrade, using this Guide and starting in the sub-section titled Manual Upgrade.

Once the files are uploaded, visit the upgrade URL directly (https://domain.com/admin/upgrade/) to proceed.

9 minutes ago, Mark H said:

Since I see at least some of the files for the upgrade are in place, please perform a manual upgrade, using this Guide and starting in the sub-section titled Manual Upgrade.

Once the files are uploaded, visit the upgrade URL directly (https://domain.com/admin/upgrade/) to proceed.

@Mark HIs there away to reverse the update/ I don't have time to do a manual upgrade as i'm not that tech savvy. 

Just now, Warren McPherson said:

@Mark HIs there away to reverse the update/ I don't have time to do a manual upgrade as i'm not that tech savvy. 

There's unfortunately not a way to un-do an upgrade which has been started.

You would need to perform a full restore, both the files and the database, from the most-recent backup.

10 minutes ago, Mark H said:

There's unfortunately not a way to un-do an upgrade which has been started.

You would need to perform a full restore, both the files and the database, from the most-recent backup.

@Mark H Is there a more thorough documentation on how to do this manual upgrade? I've actually never used an FPT client before and have no idea of how any of this works.  This whole thing is actually quite annoying the fact that there's no solution to fix the standard update process. 

Edited by Warren McPherson

1 hour ago, Warren McPherson said:

@Mark H Is there a more thorough documentation on how to do this manual upgrade? I've actually never used an FPT client before and have no idea of how any of this works.  This whole thing is actually quite annoying the fact that there's no solution to fix the standard update process. 

FTP and interacting with your server would be a hosting based question. Your hosting provider would be able to instruct you on how to connect to your server using FTP and upload files correctly to the folder you want.

Unfortunately, we cannot control the whole process or when things go wrong. Being a self-hosted customer, there are steps in between which you may need to manage in the event there is a software or server issue. Typically, when there is an issue with the files extracting, this is an issue with permissions or otherwise on the server so once you are up and running you may wish to having your hosting provider review your server error logs so that your next upgrade does not encounter that.

Alternatively, if you are not comfortable managing your server, like you would on a self-hosted installation, we do have our Cloud which is fully managed by our team and because we control the infrastructure, obtaining files/etc... is easier as it is done completely different than through technology that self-hosted servers require. Thus there is less room for error and if there ever is an issue, we are both your software and hosting support so can help you very quickly resolve any issues. You can read more here: https://invisioncommunity.com/buy

If you would like to supply us with FTP access, we can take a courtesy look at the extraction though to see if this is something in the software causing this. If it is on the server, we can provide next steps for your hosting team to take over. To do so, please add access per the below:

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

FTP and interacting with your server would be a hosting based question. Your hosting provider would be able to instruct you on how to connect to your server using FTP and upload files correctly to the folder you want.

Unfortunately, we cannot control the whole process or when things go wrong. Being a self-hosted customer, there are steps in between which you may need to manage in the event there is a software or server issue. Typically, when there is an issue with the files extracting, this is an issue with permissions or otherwise on the server so once you are up and running you may wish to having your hosting provider review your server error logs so that your next upgrade does not encounter that.

Alternatively, if you are not comfortable managing your server, like you would on a self-hosted installation, we do have our Cloud which is fully managed by our team and because we control the infrastructure, obtaining files/etc... is easier as it is done completely different than through technology that self-hosted servers require. Thus there is less room for error and if there ever is an issue, we are both your software and hosting support so can help you very quickly resolve any issues. You can read more here: https://invisioncommunity.com/buy

If you would like to supply us with FTP access, we can take a courtesy look at the extraction though to see if this is something in the software causing this. If it is on the server, we can provide next steps for your hosting team to take over. To do so, please add access per the below:

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

@Jim M

Thank you for the info. I was able successfully upgrade using the instructions above, however, now I can't seem to to access the front end of my forum. See here for details; https://www.loom.com/share/172f0296afec4443a4de8c28b9b03cbb

Can you help with this?  

Please check if you have an index.html or index.php file there that is not one of ours in your installation directory. If there is an index.html file that is not ours so delete it. Then reupload our index.php if present.

Otherwise, we would need FTP access to investigate:

2 hours ago, Jim M said:

Please check if you have an index.html or index.php file there that is not one of ours in your installation directory. If there is an index.html file that is not ours so delete it. Then reupload our index.php if present.

Otherwise, we would need FTP access to investigate:

@Stuart Silvester Any update per Jim's recommendation above?