Upgrade Support IPB v3 to v4

Hi all, 

I'm running an old version of IPB and would like to upgrade it (I know its long time overdue)

Unfortunately the system blocks me while I'm trying to login to the admin area.

Can someone give me a hint how I could bypass the Admin area and/or to get back control over the system.

Any kind of assistance would be highly appreciated

Best

E11

Could contain: Page, Text

Possible dashboard php issue
Try this - when you get this error after logging in ACP, in the browser command line, replace the command final from
&app=core
on
&app=forums
and Enter key

If this action gets you into ACP, I will send you a dashboard php to replace yours with.

On 1/2/2023 at 8:29 PM, Adlago said:

Possible dashboard php issue
Try this - when you get this error after logging in ACP, in the browser command line, replace the command final from
&app=core
on
&app=forums
and Enter key

Hello Adlago, hi all, 

thank you all for trying to help and assisting me solving the issue.

Your advise, Adlago, might be a solution but unfortunately the process step ends here:

http://www.my-forum-url.com/community/admin/index.php?adsess={ session key }

Then the error/ debug message appears.... 

23 hours ago, teraßyte said:

That page means there is some kind of issue with a MySQL query or the MySQL server itself. It should save a log in the /cache folder and you can look up the actual error there.

Hello teraßyte, 

thanks for your feedback as well. Also very much appreciated.

I found in /cache the following logged 

(sql_error_log_01_03_23.cgi)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2023 21:45:47 +0000
 Error: 1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'rows FROM ibf_sessions WHERE running_time > 1672778747' at line 1
 IP Address: XXX.67.137.8 - /community/admin/index.php?adsess=4b81af91e85926794c7ae60372897525
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 mySQL query error: SELECT count(*) as rows FROM ibf_sessions WHERE running_time > 1672778747
 .--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
 | File                                                                       | Function                                                                      | Line No.          |
 |----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------|
 | admin/sources/base/ipsController.php                                       | [admin_core_mycp_dashboard].doExecute                                         | 306               |
 '----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------'

and (sql_error_latest.cgi)

Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2023 21:45:47 +0000
 Error: 1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'rows FROM ibf_sessions WHERE running_time > 1672778747' at line 1
 IP Address: XXX.67.137.8 - /community/admin/index.php?adsess=4b81af91e85926794c7ae60372897525
 mySQL query error: SELECT count(*) as rows FROM ibf_sessions WHERE running_time > 1672778747
 .--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
 | File                                                                       | Function                                                                      | Line No.          |
 |----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------|
 | admin/sources/base/ipsController.php                                       | [admin_core_mycp_dashboard].doExecute                                         | 306               |
 '----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------'

To be honest, I've no clue how I could back the control of that marauding ACP 😉

4 minutes ago, Adlago said:

After  {session key} add

&app=forums

then Enter

Ah, understood. Thx for the additional hint.

Following that, I come one step further. Even if it looks odd. Seems that CSS isnt loaded. 

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage

Just now, Stuart Silvester said:

You'll likely have a hard time getting it to work on anything newer than MySQL 5.5. You don't however need to be able to load the AdminCP to perform an upgrade. You can upload the new v4 files and go directly to the upgrade process.

Hi Stuart, 

also thanks to you for assisting.

Just a short update after playing a bit with that what Adlago recommended.

I was able to login - My Dashboard (menu item) generates the error, but another menu item allowed me to get into the ACP. Cheers guys!

I hope from here I can start the upgrade process. If not, I think I have to follow your recommendation @Stuart Silvester - uploading files and go from there

10 minutes ago, Adlago said:

Login ftp

Open .../admin/applications/core/modules_admin/mycp

and replace dashboard  php with

this

dashboard.php 21.82 kB · 0 downloads

Hrhrhr, that works. Yeah! 
Another step further. Thanks a lo for that Adlago. 

29 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

You'll likely have a hard time getting it to work on anything newer than MySQL 5.5. You don't however need to be able to load the AdminCP to perform an upgrade. You can upload the new v4 files and go directly to the upgrade process.

System says PHP Version 5.6.40 - any chance to initiate the upgrade process from ACP or is uploading the install package the only option?

Edited by E11

5 minutes ago, E11 said:

System says PHP Version 5.6.40 - any chance to initiate the upgrade process from ACP or is uploading the install package the only option?

From such an old version you'll need to upload the files, switch your server to PHP 8.0.x and run the upgrader from /admin/upgrade. Have a look at our guide here, specifically the 3.x section: 

Dear all, thanks for your valuable feedback. This is very much appreciated.

To share some more information, maybe someone is interested in the progress we made on our side.

We will keep the current state of the community but run it behind a htaccess protection. 
Reason for that step is that we developed dozen of tailormade hooks in the past which I expect that they will stop  working after the upgrade has been processed. Thats ok, and I'm aware that it is needed to redevelop it.

The backup-board allows me to demonstrate new developers what we have developed in the past - up to a certain extend it can be used as reference. 

We copied the forum files successfully into a subfolder (the protected one). We connected it successfully with a new database, where the database is a copy from the current live system. Everything runs smoothly - except three issues we cant fix because we have no clue where to change the settings.

Maybe the one or the other can assist us here as well to find a solution or guding us in the right direction.

Issue 1: The Home Menue is linked to the live system. I assume this is somewhere hardcoded. 

Could contain: Text

Issue 2: The member’s profile pictures still lead to the main domain (path 'uploads')

Issue 3: Asset images leads also to main domain (path 'public/style_images')

All the rest seems to work incl the access to Mod-ACP and Admin-ACP.

For #1, if you've already changed the url in conf_global.php, then the home link is most likely hardcoded in the menu manager in ACP > System > SITE FEATURES > Menu Manager. Just edit the menu entry there.

For #2 & #3 instead you need to update your storage setting path in ACP > System > OVERVIEW > Files > Storage Settings (button top-right) > Configurations TAB.

Hello teraßyte,

another huge thx to you my friend.

Settings were found here:

System Settings  >  System  >  General Configuration

1. Website address

2. Images URL

HOME works,

where I'm currently not sure is how I have to deal with subdomain in settings

'Path to 'upload' directory ' and

'Upload URL'

Current form is located in a subfolder

http://www.my-forum.com/community/uploads

but now it is located in a sub-domain

http://community.my-domain.com/

Would this path be the correct one to find the uploads

http://community.my-domain.com/uploads

Thanks Gary, yep I'm happy so far.

I uploaded the files (v4) and prepared everything. Installer is running, but system check detects an outdated Nexus

I believe Nexus had reach its End of life process. 

What can I do to bypass that message?

The info that I had Nexus installed must come from the v3. I assume. 

Could contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage

/www/htdocs/xxxxx/community/applications/nexus/Application.php
Edited by E11

1 minute ago, Randy Calvert said:

Nexus is now the Commerce app.  Do you still have that one associated with your license?

Not yet Randy. Maybe decide it later on bying it. For the moment I'd try to get the current stuff fixed as you can imagine.

Assuming you have access to the database with phpMyAdmin or similar, check the list of tables in your database.

Are there any tables whose name starts with (assuming no table prefix is used), "nexus_" ?

If there are such tables, then nexus was either installed, or was attempted to be installed, at one point in the past, but then not removed properly. 

Hello Mark H,

thanks for your feedback.

I checked PHPMYadmin and you are right, there are two tables referring to Nexus.

Could contain: File, Plot, Chart, Page, Text, Webpage

If these tables are orphaned and no longer used or needed I'd remove it from the DB.

Update: Tables deleted - issue remains.... 😞 hmmm, any additional ideas what other process the issue triggers?