Posts and ranking

I am migrating from bbpress and I had ranking based on the members' number of posts. Now that I have Invision, everyone seems to go back to zero, which is a little bit of a bummer for those who had hundreds or thousands of posts already. Is there a way to import their number of posts for ranking? If not, can I do something manual for them? It might be tedious, but I would at least want to reward the regular posters with a reasonable "rank" to start the year 🙂

Invision Community utilizes Achievements to set ranks, badges, etc... This system is a little more robust for establishing rank because you can set rules to how you would like ranks/badges to be given instead of simply post count.

You can read more about it in this guide: 

You will want to check your rules are set for the ranks/badges you want to give out and then you will want to rebuild the Achievements by going to ACP -> Members -> Achievements -> Settings -> Rebuild Members' Achievements.

5 hours ago, Jim M said:

You will want to check your rules are set for the ranks/badges you want to give out and then you will want to rebuild the Achievements by going to ACP -> Members -> Achievements -> Settings -> Rebuild Members' Achievements.

I already have set the rules that 1 post = 1 point (among others). If I rebuild Members' Achievements in that manner, will it count all the "previous" number of posts, when they were still in bbpress? They currently still show as having hundreds of posts.

21 minutes ago, Carole Asselin said:

I already have set the rules that 1 post = 1 point (among others). If I rebuild Members' Achievements in that manner, will it count all the "previous" number of posts, when they were still in bbpress? They currently still show as having hundreds of posts.

It would count everything that is currently in your database. 

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

In what way? If you let us know what is causing you a headache, we can certainly advise accordingly

Just trying to learn a new system, read about the 'rules' and such. My members aren't crazy about it. We'll get used to it, but nobody likes change lol. 

The upgrade turned everyone into 'newbies', so they're wondering what's going on there. Someone with 150,000 posts has the same rank as someone with 4 or 5 posts lol. 

I just have to figure out what determines rank, and maybe manually adjust everyone accordingly. 

1 minute ago, VaBeach_Guy said:

Just trying to learn a new system, read about the 'rules' and such. My members aren't crazy about it. We'll get used to it, but nobody likes change lol. 

The upgrade turned everyone into 'newbies', so they're wondering what's going on there. Someone with 150,000 posts has the same rank as someone with 4 or 5 posts lol. 

I just have to figure out what determines rank, and maybe manually adjust everyone accordingly. 

After upgrade, you will want to set your rules to how you like them and then rebuild the achievements by going to ACP -> Members -> Achievements -> Settings -> Rebuild Members' Achievements.

5 minutes ago, Jim M said:

After upgrade, you will want to set your rules to how you like them and then rebuild the achievements by going to ACP -> Members -> Achievements -> Settings -> Rebuild Members' Achievements.

Rebuilding will also rebuild things like post count and reputation, right? That would create bigger issues for me. My board was originally owned by an NFL team. In 2020, they decided that they didn't want to pay for it anymore (after 20 to 25 years in existence). So we members branched off and re-created the board.

Since most of the members had decades of post count and reputation built up, I manually added all of their old stats to the new board. So if rebuilding also re-adjusts all of those numbers, I'd be in a world of hurt lol. 

Edited by VaBeach_Guy

5 minutes ago, VaBeach_Guy said:

Rebuilding will also rebuild things like post count and reputation, right? That would create bigger issues for me. My board was originally owned by an NFL team. In 2020, they decided that they didn't want to pay for it anymore (after 20 to 25 years in existence). So we members branched off and re-created the board.

Since most of the members had decades of post count and reputation built up, I manually added all of their old stats to the new board. So if rebuilding also re-adjusts all of those numbers, I'd be in a world of hurt lol. 

Nope. That button I told you about would only rebuild Achievements. However, this will only count based on what is in your database.

6 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Nope. That button I told you about would only rebuild Achievements. However, this will only count based on what is in your database.

If it's something that I can manually adjust (the ranks), that might be easier. Some may want to keep it as is, while some may want it adjusted. 

7 minutes ago, VaBeach_Guy said:

If it's something that I can manually adjust (the ranks), that might be easier. Some may want to keep it as is, while some may want it adjusted. 

At this point in time, there are no manual point assignments to increase ranks. Only badges can be manually assigned at this time so there may be something there to recognize those members who had larger post counts when you had to start over.

If add points or moving ranks manually is something you'd like to see, please leave your suggestion in our Feature Suggestion forum.

4 minutes ago, Jim M said:

At this point in time, there are no manual point assignments to increase ranks. Only badges can be manually assigned at this time so there may be something there to recognize those members who had larger post counts when you had to start over.

If add points or moving ranks manually is something you'd like to see, please leave your suggestion in our Feature Suggestion forum.

That brings up another question, along the same lines. 

Here, the rank 'pips' show for members on each post. How to I make that happen? 

3 minutes ago, Jim M said:

That is our customer's group icon 🙂 . Pips are no longer a thing, I'm afraid.

Oh ok, no problem then. I had plans to tweak them to our team logo (Philadelphia Eagles), each Eagle head would be a pip lol. 

I've noticed that member titles aren't showing on the post content like they used to. I found the setting, set it and my member title shows but nobody else's seems to. 

1 minute ago, VaBeach_Guy said:

I've noticed that member titles aren't showing on the post content like they used to. I found the setting, set it and my member title shows but nobody else's seems to. 

Custom member titles were removed from default functionality so would require a custom profile field and a customization of your theme now. Here is a topic on that:

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

Custom member titles were removed from default functionality so would require a custom profile field and a customization of your theme now. Here is a topic on that:

Thanks, I have a bit of custom work to do lol. 

One last question (I think), about the 'reward' capabilities for rewarding individual members with special badges. Those 'reward' badges that are capable of being 'rewarded', those are only achievable by being manually rewarded and can't be automatically earned, is that correct? 

I also see that points can be awarded, which manually increases a members rank, so I can use that if need be, for that. 

3 minutes ago, VaBeach_Guy said:

Thanks, I have a bit of custom work to do lol. 

One last question (I think), about the 'reward' capabilities for rewarding individual members with special badges. Those 'reward' badges that are capable of being 'rewarded', those are only achievable by being manually rewarded and can't be automatically earned, is that correct? 

I also see that points can be awarded, which manually increases a members rank, so I can use that if need be, for that. 

You're very welcome.

Badges can be either manually or automatically (via rules) awarded. Our guide here kind of covers the basic questions like this with some examples, that may help you out if you have any further questions: