PM, Quote, and Reply not working on Motorola Edge 5G UW (2021)

32 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

I may having fallen back in, as I decided to dump out CKEDITOR.env and take a closer look...

@Clover13 - ask that user to go to https://www.whatsmyua.info/ in Chrome and Firefox and provide back the exact text of the user agent string

OK I asked for the info, will let you know what I hear back.  Not sure if he ever installed Firefox (he's a "low tech" member).

5 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Being honest, I' m not sure they're using Chrome either if you've gotten that user agent information (from your reproduction steps) from him previously.

I didn't get it from him, I looked it up online to use in the emulator and was able to reproduce it.  If I had to guess he is using Chrome as he will use whatever is stock on the Android phone.  I was trying to guide him through an app install of Firefox, but he was worried it would mess things up on his phone (which lets you know what level of tech comfort he has).

14 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Then getting the actual string might be useful (that's what the post earlier was for) to investigate further.

With regards to your user agent - it's for a browser that isn't supported by CKEditor, so not surprised that something strange is going on.

That would indeed be very strange as I'm 99.9% sure it's just a stock Chrome browser included with the Android phone.  

Thanks - can confirm that I can reproduce with that too.

And it's something to do with the device model in the User Agent that is the triggering it.

This in the emulator will see the issue...

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 12; motorola edge 5G UW (2021)) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/108.0.0.0 Mobile Safari/537.36 

This won't - all I have done is remove the space between edge & 5G:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 12; motorola edge5G UW (2021)) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/108.0.0.0 Mobile Safari/537.36 

This won't either - I have removed the word edge...

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 12; motorola 5G UW (2021)) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/108.0.0.0 Mobile Safari/537.36 

And this won't either - I have added a letter to the word edge...

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 12; motorola 5G edger 5G UW (2021)) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/108.0.0.0 Mobile Safari/537.36 

And with that, my theory is that the browser is being detected as the unsupported non-Chromium based version of Microsoft Edge that came out a few years and triggering onwards issues as a result.

And now I am out.

Edited by Nathan Explosion

18 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Thanks - can confirm that I can reproduce with that too.

And it's something to do with the device model in the User Agent that is the triggering it.

This in the emulator will see the issue...

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 12; motorola edge 5G UW (2021)) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/108.0.0.0 Mobile Safari/537.36 

This won't - all I have done is remove the space between edge & 5G:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 12; motorola edge5G UW (2021)) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/108.0.0.0 Mobile Safari/537.36 

This won't either - I have removed the word edge...

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 12; motorola 5G UW (2021)) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/108.0.0.0 Mobile Safari/537.36 

And this won't either - I have added a letter to the word edge...

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 12; motorola 5G edger 5G UW (2021)) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/108.0.0.0 Mobile Safari/537.36 

And with that, my theory is that the browser is being detected as the unsupported non-Chromium based version of Microsoft Edge that came out a few years and triggering onwards issues as a result.

And now I am out.

You're right: https://github.com/ckeditor/ckeditor4/issues/2207. Since you did the leg work on this one, you're welcome to bump that issue and let them know it's causing an issue on a current device. (let me know if you would prefer us to report it)

Could contain: Page, Text, Number, Symbol

Adjusting the regex does allow the editor to work with that UA.

2 minutes ago, Richard Arch said:

I'm amazed how deep this got and glad the Invision brought support out into the open where people can learn and feed into topics.  Nathan has done a marvellous job on exploring this issue, it obviously peaked his curiosity and kept his interest.

Well done Nathan and the Invision Community Team 👍

Agree, I enjoy seeing the tech side of the discussion to better understand the underpinnings of problems.  They did a great job talking through it here!

19 minutes ago, Richard Arch said:

Yes, I've been disappointed more than once when a good topic (learning experience) finishes with the likes of "tagged a developer" or "raised a ticket".  It would be great if a summary of the conclusion could be added later once the solution was found.

You'll want to keep your eye on (or follow) the vendors issue: https://github.com/ckeditor/ckeditor4/issues/2207. It's up to them when it gets fixed and released.