Help with fixing database before update

Mike456
Go to solution Solved by teraßyte,

Hi guys,

So the problem is that I can't update to the latest version as there are some errors in the database, self fix did not repair them. 
I tried to do it myself, but I don't have any programming background, and I installed the forum using youtube guide.
I know how to enter PhP My Admin etc, but I don't know what to do once I'm there and instructions described in forum pop-up do not mean much to me.

Would someone be able to guide me step by step to fix this?

Thanks!

Could contain: File, Webpage, Monitor, Computer Hardware, Screen, Hardware, Electronics, Text

Edited by Mike456

Yes I'm having more issues. 
I tried to upload all the files from client area and run upgrade - but it lists me paths to files in red, and tells me that if these were uploaded correctly then to fix permissions. I fixed permissions and still the same problems.

So I decided to run a fresh install, deleted everything and installed forum. But then database does not want to import/work correctly, there is one error saying that calendar table is already in the database. Then when I continue to forum, it's broken, user accounts are not imported etc, forums seem to be imported together with posts, but even ACP does not work as it should and I'm getting errors.

I decided to delete everything once more, upload the old backup and use it with old database.

Was there some major change to databases in versions 4.x.x? I don't understand what is going on, and why old database (version 4+ too) did not want to work on latest forum?

12 hours ago, Mike456 said:

Yes I'm having more issues. 
I tried to upload all the files from client area and run upgrade - but it lists me paths to files in red, and tells me that if these were uploaded correctly then to fix permissions. I fixed permissions and still the same problems.

So I decided to run a fresh install, deleted everything and installed forum. But then database does not want to import/work correctly, there is one error saying that calendar table is already in the database. Then when I continue to forum, it's broken, user accounts are not imported etc, forums seem to be imported together with posts, but even ACP does not work as it should and I'm getting errors.

I decided to delete everything once more, upload the old backup and use it with old database.

Was there some major change to databases in versions 4.x.x? I don't understand what is going on, and why old database (version 4+ too) did not want to work on latest forum?

When you did a fresh install, did you install the latest version? If you did, you should run the upgrader so the database containing the backup of the previous version should be upgraded too so it can match the forum files version.

It is better to not delete everything, because that might cause errors especially with third party plugins/apps that result as installed but their files can not be found.

Can you post the error messages that you got as that can help in pinpointing the issues.

Hello. I have this same issue. When I tried to fix the database myself, it has now made the admin panel and site inaccessible.  Any advice?  I do not have server access and work through my server host for things outside the admin panel.  Currently, I am receiving a message that states

Resource Limit Is Reached

The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later.

Edited by Adika

12 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

You would need to contact your hosting company regarding this issue. Its likely this is what has been causing you the problems. You are out of resource on your server

Thanks.  The host has cleared the resource limit, but now I'm seeing formatting text when I try to access the admin panel:

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage

On 12/21/2022 at 1:24 PM, Randy Calvert said:

It looks like the host is just serving the raw files instead of parsing PHP properly.  The host needs to fix your instance to properly parse PHP files.  

Thank you. I have reached out to them as of this morning with your suggestion. This is far beyond my level of expertise and if it cannot be resolved, I will have to just end my site and let my Invision license expire. It’s been a great run.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,
So I'm trying again.
Running these 2 commands in SQL did not solve the problem, so I uploaded the latest community files from Client Area.

I run url/admin/upgrade and upon sign in I get that (long list of files in applications folder, what should I do now?):

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage

Could contain: Page, Text

• Solution

Looks like you have the converter application installed but didn't upload the updated files for it. When downloading the zip from your client area there is a checkbox you need to select in order to include the Convert application in the download.

Re-download the zip with the checkbox selected and then upload again the files to your server. Once you do that the errors should all go away.

Edited by teraßyte

25 minutes ago, Mike456 said:

I run url/admin/upgrade and upon sign in I get that (long list of files in applications folder, what should I do now?):

First, make sure that all the files mentioned in that screen are overwritten with those from the latest package. If you still will get the error, you should try and chmodd the aforementioned files.