Continue support of some of my Marketplace resources

shahed

Hello,

Some of my Marketplace resources are received updates as far as IPS ver 4.4, which is gonna be removed soon and out of support entirely by IPS. the most requested and frequently wanted of them is Infobox buttons and by their nature, only can be install like a normal CKEditor plugin, as .zip files... and since .zip files can't be upload in marketplace anymore as of IPS ver 4.5 forward, simply updating this resource is also stopped. I really like to continue support this, specially as of recent I have re-created them from scratch with dozens of new features and settings, but as I said there is no way to send .zip buttons along main plugin and xml file.

is it possible for IPS to accommodate for such submissions in future? just adding ability to upload additional file for plugins/app in marketplace should do the job. in Theme submission it's possible, so why not for plugin/apps? or maybe there are better way to this? as long as it solve the problem, that would be fine.

Could contain: Page, Text

Edited by shahed

Overkill, probably, but this would solve the situation:

1. Create an application, with a single admin module
  2. Add the zip file as a resource in the application
  3. The admin module could then display instructions on what to do, along with a link to the zip file to allow it to then be downloaded and manually installed by the user

POC

(NE) Zip file example 1.0.0.tar

plus dev folder

neappzipfile.zip

59 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

This was discussed in a different topic.

Unless the resource is an application or plugin, it would not be supported in marketplace. The suggestion was to attach the file to a forum post. 

Even with all of this how does the maker get pay if not via the marketplace? That really never answer per the issue as well. the information is great but never address in the link details.

28 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

3. The admin module could then display instructions on what to do, along with a link to the zip file to allow it to then be downloaded and manually installed by the user

POC

(NE) Zip file example 1.0.0.tar 32 kB · 0 downloads

plus dev folder

neappzipfile.zip 11.86 kB · 0 downloads

I get it, still how does the maker of said stuff get funded if they want to sell such an item? Should really something like this be remove from the marketplace as a resource if the maker wants to get pay by it and sell their goods? IPB not doing this does remove the options for such things and limits already that could expand on things then improveing them. Maybe a Marketplace area for this as if it was free and just posted on the forums then I guess that what form but is not the point of the Marketplace to see what others can offer others of the same software to improve via a resource.

I have to wait for @shahed to reply to get more feedback as he is the POC.

5 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

?

It's an application - it can be sold on the MP.

Not really. It a adds buttons to the editor here to have a predone layout from the old files. The editor doesn't take XML files. As the Marketplace only take XML files thus the issue if I understand it all correctly. 

17 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

This was discussed in a different topic.

Unless the resource is an application or plugin, it would not be supported in marketplace. The suggestion was to attach the file to a forum post. 

It is a similar case, but not sure how you could sell. if the topic was created in a private Club in IPS clubs, which accessible by users selected by developers this could work. but developers can't create club here. plus if it is not gonna be send in Marketplace so they are not be subject for review. I'm not sure at the end gonna be approve by marketplace moderators.

17 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

POC

(NE) Zip file example 1.0.0.tar 32 kB · 1 download

plus dev folder

neappzipfile.zip 11.86 kB · 1 download

This solution is more practical. but again it would be manual download and manual install. not sure gonna be approve by Moderators here for marketplace. manual install can be sold all sorts of ways like topics, PM, developer website ... after installable resource being sold in marketplace. so I think question is will IPS approve it. I wish someone from IPS clarify this.

Nathan solution can actually work, since moderators can install app then download zip file through it and perform review. at the end i really want to know if this is acceptable by marketplace moderators. there is also individual problem for me as I never created apps nor work with them. so I suspect gonna take time which currently I don't have. I always like simplicity of working with plugins in IPS platform, but moving to apps is also inevitable.

17 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Scratch that - looks problematic; will probably work with a bit more time put into it but none at the moment.

The app method is all good though.

I have tested this and yes... same method won't work with plugins.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the problem with the "new" marketplace. Developers only way to make profit now is to use the (in my opinion) obsolete and step backward admin marketplace built into IPS. You can no longer download files and save them even if you are the owner of a license (which you have the rights to according to some EU country laws). Of everything bloaty and unnecessary features IPS have done during the last years this marketplace is by far the worst and probably also the reason to why no other software have this, they usually provide both solutions.

Honestly IPS need to rethink how they provide plugins to license holders, not only for their developers that keep the software updated with plugins and features that by far succeed even main features of IPS, but also from a legal stand point. Otherwise they will have to limit the marketplace and only give access to certain regions if the wrong person catches on and is having a bad day.

Me personally, don't know anything about coding. I am however a good graphics designer. But I can't contribute to the community due said limits in the marketplace. It is sad and quite frustrating.

But what do I know, I only pay for my license and look happy. Why should IPS care what paying customers think?...

12 hours ago, Sirmadsen said:

You can no longer download files and save them even if you are the owner of a license (which you have the rights to according to some EU country laws)

I would point out here that the marketplace downloads the files to your platform. If you are a self-hosted customer, you have access to all the files on your hosting at any point. If you are a cloud customer, you are actually running a service and not a downloadable product.

6 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

I would point out here that the marketplace downloads the files to your platform. If you are a self-hosted customer, you have access to all the files on your hosting at any point. If you are a cloud customer, you are actually running a service and not a downloadable product.

That's not 100% true for self-hosted:

• For applications you can indeed download a copy of the folder from the server and you're done.
  • For plugins however it's not the case: missing install/upgrade files, resources, javascript, etc. Manually re-creating a plugin's XML file after it's installed is a real pain.

I received some requests for updating old plugins and since they didn't have the original XML file it was a really annoying process upgrading them.

Just now, teraßyte said:

That's not 100% true for self-hosted:

• For applications you can indeed download a copy of the folder from the server and you're done.
  • For plugins however it's not the case: missing install/upgrade files, resources, javascript, etc. Manually re-creating a plugin's XML file after it's installed is a real pain.

I received some requests for updating old plugins and since they didn't have the original XML file it was a really annoying process upgrading them.

It does however contain everything that was sold to the user. ie. the working plugin and files its running. Otherwise it wouldnt be running. I understand what you are referring to there, but we are talking cross purposes. Yours is an "Its in an annoying format to use to do xyz", which is different to it not existing. I completely understand your point of course

The instructions to manually add the css classes are unnecessary, you can literally create a hook and programmatically whitelist them. 
I’ve also put on my todo list to see if one could literally create avoid the manual down and upload, it shouldn’t be hard to “fake” the request.

IPS\Text\Parser::getAllowedCssClasses() can be hooked to add the additional css classes. Would be much user friendlier 🙂

Also if you're up to suggestions,  I would open all the links in your ACP instructions/descriptions in a new window/tab. It's quite annoying and distracting it if opens in the same window before one e.g. copied the classname.

1 hour ago, Daniel F said:

The instructions to manually add the css classes are unnecessary, you can literally create a hook and programmatically whitelist them. 

IPS\Text\Parser::getAllowedCssClasses() can be hooked to add the additional css classes. Would be much user friendlier 🙂

Thanks Daniel, i wasn't aware of this. is there example for this?

Also if you're up to suggestions,  I would open all the links in your ACP instructions/descriptions in a new window/tab. It's quite annoying and distracting it if opens in the same window before one e.g. copied the classname.

Sure and i like it, this shouldn't be a problem.

Something like following code should work.

protected function getAllowedCssClasses()
{	
	return array_merge(parent::getAllowedClasses(), ['MVN_infoboxes_container','MVN_infoboxes_container-left'....]);
}

Thanks Daniel,

I have created hook for this, but for test there is unexpected template error. here the error after posting in a topic:

Error: Call to undefined method IPS\Text\cms_hook_Parser::getAllowedClasses() in D:\xampp\htdocs\ips_45\init.php(927) : eval()'d code:20
Stack trace:
#0 D:\xampp\htdocs\ips_45\system\Text\Parser.php(574): IPS\Text\infobox_hook_allowedCSSClasses->getAllowedCssClasses()
#1 D:\xampp\htdocs\ips_45\system\Text\Parser.php(186): IPS\Text\_Parser->_htmlPurifierConfiguration(NULL)
#2 D:\xampp\htdocs\ips_45\system\Helpers\Form\Editor.php(579): IPS\Text\_Parser->__construct(true, '88b77eab7255e0e...', NULL, 'forums_Forums', true, true, NULL, true, NULL)
#3 D:\xampp\htdocs\ips_45\system\Helpers\Form\Editor.php(423): IPS\Helpers\Form\_Editor->_getParser()
#4 D:\xampp\htdocs\ips_45\system\Helpers\Form\FormAbstract.php(167): IPS\Helpers\Form\_Editor->getValue()
#5 D:\xampp\htdocs\ips_45\system\Helpers\Form\Editor.php(569): IPS\Helpers\Form\_FormAbstract->setValue(true, false)
#6 D:\xampp\htdocs\ips_45\system\Helpers\Form\FormAbstract.php(147): IPS\Helpers\Form\_Editor->setValue(true)
#7 D:\xampp\htdocs\ips_45\system\Helpers\Form\Editor.php(212): IPS\Helpers\Form\_FormAbstract->__construct('topic_comment_1...', NULL, true, Array, Object(Closure), NULL, NULL, NULL)
#8 D:\xampp\htdocs\ips_45\system\Content\Item.php(4977): IPS\Helpers\Form\_Editor->__construct('topic_comment_1...', NULL, true, Array, Object(Closure))
#9 D:\xampp\htdocs\ips_45\system\Content\Item.php(4654): IPS\Content\_Item->commentFormElements()
#10 D:\xampp\htdocs\ips_45\system\Theme\Theme.php(885) : eval()'d code(5615): IPS\Content\_Item->commentForm()
#11 D:\xampp\htdocs\ips_45\system\Theme\SandboxedTemplate.php(61): IPS\Theme\class_forums_front_topics->topic(Object(IPS\forums\Topic), Array, NULL, Array, NULL, NULL, Array)
#12 D:\xampp\htdocs\ips_45\applications\forums\modules\front\forums\topic.php(576): IPS\Theme\_SandboxedTemplate->__call('topic', Array)
#13 D:\xampp\htdocs\ips_45\system\Dispatcher\Controller.php(118): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\_topic->manage()
#14 D:\xampp\htdocs\ips_45\system\Content\Controller.php(50): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#15 D:\xampp\htdocs\ips_45\applications\forums\modules\front\forums\topic.php(39): IPS\Content\_Controller->execute()
#16 D:\xampp\htdocs\ips_45\system\Dispatcher\Dispatcher.php(153): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\_topic->execute()
#17 D:\xampp\htdocs\ips_45\index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#18 {main}

It says "undefined method IPS\Text\cms_hook_Parser::getAllowedClasses() " but there is no such cms_hook_Parser in the hook or anywhere else in the app for that matter. here the code in hook:

//<?php

/* To prevent PHP errors (extending class does not exist) revealing path */
if ( !\defined( '\IPS\SUITE_UNIQUE_KEY' ) )
{
	exit;
}

class infobox_hook_allowedCSSClasses extends _HOOK_CLASS_
{

/**
	 * Get allowed CSS classes
	 * @return	array
	 */
	protected function getAllowedCssClasses()
	{	
		return array_merge(parent::getAllowedClasses(), ['MVN_infoboxes_container','MVN_infoboxes_container-left','MVN_infoboxes_container-right','MVN_infotopic_container','MVN_infoline_container','MVN_infolineP','MVN_infolineV','MVN_infotoggle_container','MVN_infotoggle_title','MVN_infotoggle_content','MVN_infotoggle_openClose','MVN_bquote','MVN_infogb_container','MVN_infogb_thegood','MVN_infogb_thebad','MVN_reviewRate','MVN_secwp-image-cover','MVN_secwp_filter','MVN_imgComparison_container','MVN_imgComparison','MVN_imgComparison_resize','MVN_imgComparison_handle','MVN_columnBTN_half','MVN_columnBTN_third','MVN_spoilerText_BTN']);
	}

}