PHP8 will be the minimum version from November 2022

Go to solution Solved by Salvatore Torsi,

I started the latest update and it asked me for php 8.0 minimum.

I updated php to version 8.1, then in the admin panel now there is a red box saying:

We were unable to start a PHP session. You will need to contact your host to adjust your PHP configuration before you can continue. The error reported was: session_start(): Failed to read session data: files (path: /var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php80)

I contacted the host and they said everything is ok on their side.

What can i do? My forum is stopped now

Edited by Salvatore Torsi

@Salvatore Torsi That's indeed a hosting issue on their side instead. I encountered it myself once during an upgrade, it was caused by the folder not being properly created when PHP 8 was installed. And on another server I had a similar issue but it was caused by the folder not having the correct write permissions.

Definitely something your host needs to fix though.

26 minutes ago, Salvatore Torsi said:

I started the latest update and it asked me for php 8.0 minimum.

I updated php to version 8.1, then in the admin panel now there is a red box saying:

We were unable to start a PHP session. You will need to contact your host to adjust your PHP configuration before you can continue. The error reported was: session_start(): Failed to read session data: files (path: /var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php80)

I contacted the host and they said everything is ok on their side.

What can i do? My forum is stopped now

The path being used there is for PHP 8.0. If you're on 8.1 there may another path which they would need to configure and ensure correct permissions to.

9 hours ago, Jim M said:

The path being used there is for PHP 8.0. If you're on 8.1 there may another path which they would need to configure and ensure correct permissions to.

I tried with 8.0 and 8.1. My mistake I reported the error using 8.1.

Using php 8.0 I see:

Using php 8.1 I see:

We were unable to start a PHP session. You will need to contact your host to adjust your PHP configuration before you can continue. The error reported was: session_start(): Failed to read session data: files (path: /var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php81)

However the host insists that everything is working fine on their side. I think in order to see the forum again I can only restore from a backup. But how to do then for updates, which require a minimum of php 8.0 ?

I have split this into its own topic. Please ensure that you have nothing after the /admin/upgrade in your address bar, then press enter and see if that allows you to log in. If it does not, then only your host can resolve this. 

To explain further. Our code says "Please start a session" to the server. Your server is saying no

• Solution
2 hours ago, Salvatore Torsi said:

I tried with 8.0 and 8.1. My mistake I reported the error using 8.1.

Using php 8.0 I see:

Using php 8.1 I see:

We were unable to start a PHP session. You will need to contact your host to adjust your PHP configuration before you can continue. The error reported was: session_start(): Failed to read session data: files (path: /var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php81)

However the host insists that everything is working fine on their side. I think in order to see the forum again I can only restore from a backup. But how to do then for updates, which require a minimum of php 8.0 ?

They fixed it, after informing the host of what was written in this post, relating to nginx

(Just in case to help someone else with the same problem)