Forum upgrade now images not showing

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

I just upgraded my forums to 4.7 (was on 4.2.9).  Things are looking good for the most part, but I'm seeing images that are not displaying.  See this post (Trip Report) for example:

What I found is that the images found in /forms/uploads/monthy_YEAR_MONTH  where Year= for ex 2007 and MONTH = 12.  So ALL the images that were uploaded to IPB since we originally installed it were missing.   That is a big part of our bread and butter for our site.

Did I mess up? I copied the files and directories as the instructions indicate.  Somehow all those went missing.  Or are they moved by this version? If they are moved, where and why and is there a config I change to adapt?

I restored from a back up and and now am back on 4.2.9.  It was good exercise regardless.  Can one explain to me what went wrong?  If I were to guess I did something wrong, but maybe something else is up.

Thank you for any assistance.

6 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

It sounds like you have had to manually upload files because the auto upgrader hasnt been able to write to disk. What you have done there however is uploaded a fresh set of files and replaced folders, rather than merged. So you have replaced the uploads folder (removing all its contents in the process).

I think you are right about that. It must have replaced, though for some reason it didn't replace the last month.  But it has to be that...it overwrote the folders, wiping anything that was unique to my board there. 

this is the part I was following:

Simply login to the client area and download a full package of software, much like you would if doing a fresh install, and unzip the archive to your computer. It will create a folder named "ips_xxxxx" where xxxxx is a random string of characters. Then use an FTP client such as Filezilla and upload the contents of the ips_xxxxx folder (not the folder itself) to your forum main directory, overwriting when prompted and making sure all files transfer without error.

I have to do a manual install because of where my board is at, so those are the instructions.  I'm going to use Filezilla to do it instead of what I used last time (Nova). I'm pretty sure that is it.

Edited by olyclimber

• Solution

Yeas, those are correct. However you are not just uploading in your case. You are also deleting. It should only be overwriting items where those items already exist (files only)

I would be interested to know what you mean by you cannot use the auto upgrader due to where it is. That would be very unusual

9 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Yeas, those are correct. However you are not just uploading in your case. You are also deleting. It should only be overwriting items where those items already exist (files only)

I would be interested to know what you mean by you cannot use the auto upgrader due to where it is. That would be very unusual

I just mean the state of it.  See this thread:

So unless I read it wrong in that thread, you guys said I can't use the auto upgrader....

can you please explain what you mean by the "full upgrader"?  where is that, how is an admin using it

I am educating myself because my forums are neglected too unfortunately... I only know how to automatically upgrade. 

the one is 4.4.2   (smaller one)  and the other is 4.3.6 (larger one)