Improve sign up form button for Events

David N.

I love the new Events system and the look of the interface. 

There's only one thing that I find confusing: on future events that I haven't signed up to yet, it says "✔ Going" - which I find confusing: the checkmark seems to indicate that I've already signed up, and the word "Going" seems to indicate a current status, as if I'm already "Going" to this event. Put that in perspective with the "✖ Decline" button that is an action word, and not a status. 

Could contain: Person, Text, Face, Head

So to make it clear I suggest that the button that lets you sign up for an event is named "Sign Up". Ideally it should have the color green IMO (like the "New Topic" button). And the icon should be some sort of a standard sign-up icon like for example: 

Could contain: Sign, Symbol or Could contain: Gray

Like this: 

Could contain: Person, Face, Head, Text

Hi @David N.,

Thanks for your suggestion.

The main concern you are bringing up is that the '✔️ Going' button looks to be toggled before someone presses that button to RSVP, right? I disagree that the words 'Sign Up' would be a better alternative as that implies you are subscribing to something as opposed to just informing whether you are attending the event or not.

Perhaps a solution is having all buttons the same colour until one is actually toggled?

When someone declines the invitation, then that is the action. They would then show in the declined list which is their status.

I'm keen to hear some more feedback on this before sending it up for review by the team.

7 hours ago, Gary said:

The main concern you are bringing up is that the '✔️ Going' button looks to be toggled before someone presses that button to RSVP, right?

Yes and also I felt like that checkmark was confusing because it seems to indicate that I've already indicated that I was "going" to that event. I've looked at facebook events and I see they use a similar symbol and wording though. So maybe I'm wrong about the icon and wording.

So yes I agree then that perhaps the Going button shouldn't look like it's already been clicked. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

I am revisiting this topic, as there's still a GUI confusion here. 

In the image below:

• the green ✔️ Following button indicates that I am following. If I click it, I will NOT be following. 
  • the green ✔️ Going button indicates that I am NOT going. If I click it, then I will be going. 

Same buttons, same wording, same symbol, same color coding - and yet opposite functionality. 

Could contain: Text, Page

IMO, a green checkmark symbol and button should indicate that I am already doing something - like with the Following button. 

Edited by David N.