How do you handle 301 redirects on Cloud hosting?

Go to solution Solved by David N.,

Hello, 

I just migrated from self-hosting to Cloud hosting, however my .htaccess file was not moved which means that all my 301 redirects are no longer working. That's 4,500 pages that are indexed in Google that are currently showing:

Sorry!

The page you requested does not exist

I've contacted Invision but while waiting for them to reply, maybe someone here can help? 

Are you doing redirects TO (destination) or FROM (source) subdomains?

If you’re pointing TO a subdomain, it looks like it does not matter based on that plug-in’s screenshot example as it just gives you a spot to enter the destination as a free form field.  (Such as Google.com)

With that said, I’m not the developer or so you  could ask them for clarification. Was just trying to give some ideas. 

1 minute ago, Randy Calvert said:

Are you doing redirects TO (destination) or FROM (source) subdomains?

If you’re pointing TO a subdomain, it looks like it does not matter based on that plug-in’s screenshot example as it just gives you a spot to enter the destination as a free form field.  (Such as Google.com)

With that said, I’m not the developer or so you  could ask them for clarification. Was just trying to give some ideas. 

I'm redirecting from a sub-domain. I used to hose stuff on S3 (images.xxxxxxxxxxx.tld, audio.xxxxxxxxxx.tld, etc...). I moved it all local and just use redirects so all the old links still work.

1 minute ago, Marc Stridgen said:

This is more redirecting a whole location rather than individual pages

As you are self-hosted there, your hosting company would assist with any redirects you need on your product

I already do these. But I want to know how to do it if I move to the cloud.

2 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

If its assets only, those are largely irrelevant, as we would just change the storage method and the links are taken care of by the software. 

With regard redirects in general, it would depend on your individual requirements, but we can generally accommodate where these are needed

It's a bunch of old links in articles that point to stuff like audio.xxxxxxxxx.tld that used to be hosted in S3 years ago. Now it's all local at xxxxxxxxxx.tld/s3/audio. Nginx redirects work great rather than tracking down all the links and changing them. 

Edited by Chris027

6 minutes ago, Chris027 said:

I'm redirecting from a sub-domain. I used to hose stuff on S3 (images.xxxxxxxxxxx.tld, audio.xxxxxxxxxx.tld, etc...). I moved it all local and just use redirects so all the old links still work.

Images, audio, etc all would not be on CIC. Only the WWW would be “hosted” by IPS.

If those redirects were not part of a storage path change… What I would do since you mentioned cloudflare is just create a wildcard redirect. 

Check out step 5 on https://woorkup.com/free-url-forwarding/

In that case you’re only creating one rule per subdomain. 

Edited by Randy Calvert

These can certainly be discussed with our sales team at the time you wish to investigate this. We can then get the exact rules you are using now, and advise accordingly. Generally however, this has not been an issue.

1 minute ago, Randy Calvert said:

Images, audio, etc all would not be on CIC. Only the WWW would be “hosted” by IPS.

If those redirects were not part of a storage path change… What I would do since you mentioned cloudflare is just create a wildcard redirect. 

Check out step 5 on https://woorkup.com/free-url-forwarding/

It actually depends if thats what the person requires. In most cases the DNS woul dactually be hosted by ourselves. I know yours isnt for your specific requirements, but its not something specifically needed in this case.