cannot attach images anywhere in PM or anywhere in IPS

Good morning,

I just started to experience a problem with personal messages on IPS website. I am trying to send a PM to a developer with a couple of screenshots and I just can't 😞

Not only that, now anywhere on your site, the maximum capacity is 8.85 kb 😞 It's everywhere. My inbox is 14% full, and now when I try to post a message in the support channel, I won't be able to attach a screenshot 😞

It says:Β 1 file would exceed the total allowed size of 8.948kB, and was skipped

Β 

3 minutes ago, Luuuk said:

Have you checked how much space you used in total?

https://invisioncommunity.com/attachments/

Looks like I hit my maximum. Why am I not informed? I mean, how can I know I need to check that URL? Shouldn't the system prompt me with more details on how to fix the issue? That would ALSO save you time for supporting this type of issues. The popup should be more specific and have a link to check the space, etc.Β 

Not only that, it looks like I am being penalized because I can't even post in the main forums 😞

Edited by OptimusBain

2 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

I have flagged this to our developers so they can take a look

It looks like it was a problem on my side because I had reached the maximum in attachment capacity.

A couple of things here:

• Shouldn't the error explain that I've reached the maximum in attachment upload and ALSO show the link to attachment lists so that I can start deleting stuff from there?
  • Are the attachments deleted from everywhere on the website? Imagine I asked for help, or uploaded some screenshots to help someone else? Will they be deleted as well?Β 
  • I understand that I cannot use the PM to send more attachments. But this maximum also prevents me from uploading screenshots asking for help. I believe these two instances could be differentiated

Thanks

12 minutes ago, OptimusBain said:
  • Shouldn't the error explain that I've reached the maximum in attachment upload and ALSO show the link to attachment lists so that I can start deleting stuff from there?
  • I understand that I cannot use the PM to send more attachments. But this maximum also prevents me from uploading screenshots asking for help. I believe these two instances could be differentiated

I think you could make some suggestions in the existing topic (other user was confused too):

Β 

13 minutes ago, OptimusBain said:

Are the attachments deleted from everywhere on the website? Imagine I asked for help, or uploaded some screenshots to help someone else? Will they be deleted as well?Β 

If you delete an attachment from a selected topic but the file is used in more than one topic the attachment is only removed from the specific topic display (while the file is still there to be displayed in the remaining topics).

But if you delete files directly from your "My Attachments" manager they will be removed from everywhere.

I think you could make some suggestions in the existing topic (other user was confused too):

Β 

If you delete an attachment from a selected topic but the file is used in more than one topic the attachment is only removed from the specific topic display (while the file is still there to be displayed in the remaining topics).

But if you delete files directly from your "My Attachments" manager they will be removed from everywhere.

I don't think that's wise! Because now I deleted a lot of attachments. If used to help someone else, that attachment is gone forever 😞

I will do it right now!

4 minutes ago, OptimusBain said:

I don't think that's wise! Because now I deleted a lot of attachments. If used to help someone else, that attachment is gone forever 😞

Well, that is the IPS configuration here allowing to mass delete. But the software itself has an option to prevent deleting files from "My Attachment" page:

ACP > Members > Groups > Edit selected group > Content tab > Can delete attachments?

"Attachments are automatically deleted if the content they are attached to is deleted or the attachment is removed from them.
When this option is enabled, users in this group will be able to delete attachments from the My Attachments page. When they do so, anywhere the attachment was used will then contain a broken image or link."

Edited by Luuuk

10 hours ago, SeNioR- said:

By the way, when you set the attachment limit, you must enter the value in KiB not kB.Β In my case, after setting equal values in kB, the editor showed a completely different and underestimated value.

Example:

• 1 kB = 1000 bytes
  • 1 KiB = 1024 bytes

Β 

there is a difference between KB and kB also. The former is also 1024 and the latter 1000. I think the world does it just to confuse us all, personally πŸ˜„

Β