PHP 8.0 Broke My Board

Go to solution Solved by Nathan Explosion,

Hello:

I upgraded my site to PHP 8.0 via WHM. I got the error

This page isn't working

www.capitalstool.com is currently unable to handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 500

I reverted to PHP 7.4 and the site is working again. I have notified my webhost.

Also, I have several other problems. Internal page links have stopped working. I can only go to a different page by left click and choosing "open link in new tab." This is on Windows, using Chrome, but I have the same problem using Android on my phone. 

Also, my user registration by validation email does not work. Validation emails are not being sent. 

I appreciate your help on these issues.

Thank you.

OK. Seems like I'm stuck in a loop.  So, I am currently running IP 4.7.1. PHP 8.0 broke it, so I had to revert back to PHP 7.4. And your message says that the newer versions won't run on 7.4. So I can't upgrade. Right? 

I don't have any third party items. 

By the way, I've been with you since October 2000, when the boards were just called Invision, were run on text files, and everything was free. I used to talk to Charles on the phone, and I was here when Lindy came on board. You've come a long way. But I haven't. I'm still just one non tech guy running a little message board for a few friends. 😊 

Now that you no longer offer direct support, I need to be baby talked through this. I don't want to upgrade the board unless I know for sure that it will run, because if it breaks, I can't fix it, and I have been publishing on the web since 1999, long enough to know that the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," applies especially to software. 

So, you're saying that step one is to upgrade the board? But the message is that it won't run on php 7.4. Doesn't that mean that I can't upgrade the board? How do I break out of this loop? 

11 minutes ago, capitals said:

So, I am currently running IP 4.7.1. PHP 8.0 broke it

That version is not compatible with php 8 a.f.a.i.k. Hence why you got the errors. As mentioned above, you need to upgrade your forum to the latest version if you want to use php 8.

Edited by Miss_B

51 minutes ago, Miss_B said:

That version is not compatible with php 8 a.f.a.i.k. Hence why you got the errors. As mentioned above, you need to upgrade your forum to the latest version if you want to use php 8.

This is actually incorrect. All 4.7 is compatible with PHP 8

1 hour ago, capitals said:

So, you're saying that step one is to upgrade the board? But the message is that it won't run on php 7.4. Doesn't that mean that I can't upgrade the board? How do I break out of this loop? 

Actually step one would be to check your server error logs to see what the issue is.

They said that the error is in your code. 

We have tried changing the PHP version for capitalstool.com to PHP 8, and it was showing the error below:-

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function IPS\mb_internal_encoding() in /home/capitals/public_html/forums/init.php:558 Stack trace: #0 /home/capitals/public_html/forums/init.php(1603): IPS\IPS::init() #1 /home/capitals/public_html/forums/index.php(12): require_once('/home/capitals/...') #2 {main} thrown in /home/capitals/public_html/forums/init.php on line 558

Please see the screenshot below for reference.
https://hw-screenshots.sea-proxy.windystorage.com/screenshots/2022-11-25_12-50-160750e469-8c44-40d4-8898-e9679f5ff150.png

This error is caused because the function IPS\mb_internal_encoding() is not defined within your code. This seems to be an incompatibility issue with PHP 8 and your code. You will need to check this with the help of your developer and update the code if needed to support PHP 8.

We have reverted the PHP version to PHP 7.4, and the website capitalstool.com is working correctly.

https://hw-screenshots.sea-proxy.windystorage.com/screenshots/2022-11-25_12-59-10cbe2fa3b-00f1-4db6-8cef-c5a1400c907a.png

• Solution

That's actually an indication that your PHP version doesn't have the mbstring extension available to it.

Download this https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/7046-invision-community-requirements-checker/ and upload it to your site's root. Switch to PHP 8.0.x, open the file in the browser, fix any of the red items, then go from there.

Edited by Nathan Explosion