Allow Mention of CMS/Pages Database Records in Editor

Dreadknux

It's great that we can @ mention users dynamically in the post editor, but it would be a brilliant step up if we could do the same for Page/CMS records we have created on our community. Similar to how the individual Database Relationship custom field works, but baked into the post editor, that dynamically links to the record page and modifies its link URL and title if the record itself is ever edited (to avoid dead links).

At the moment, I'm having to link through to on-site database records manually, by copy-pasting URLs into embedded text links... if later down the line, the target database record has a title or URL slug change, I have to find the post/s I made that linked to this record and manually change the link one by one. Or else there will be dead links. 

Maybe it can be a new mention marker to specifically pull database entries instead of members, like a double @ (@@record) or something? I can see it working a bit like the below:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Page, Text

You could also include the ability to change the link text by double-clicking it maybe, a bit like how embedded links already work in post editor. But I think the more important feature would be to just have database mentions work as above in the post editor in general.

Edited by Dreadknux

17 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

if later down the line, the target database record has a title or URL slug change, I have to find the post/s I made that linked to this record and manually change the link one by one.

Actually, that shouldn’t be necessary unless you set custom URLs. As long as the marker like “-r15” remains, a change of the title and the URL – or even the category – doesn’t matter. The system will automatically forward to the correct record. 

35 minutes ago, opentype said:

Actually, that shouldn’t be necessary unless you set custom URLs. As long as the marker like “-r15” remains, a change of the title and the URL – or even the category – doesn’t matter. The system will automatically forward to the correct record. 

Yes, the idea would be for this to work with custom URLs. The record marker is unsightly so it would help in a situation where that element of the slug is removed with record creation.