Future Publish Issue

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

I have a case where, in an effort to get work done during down times, I am creating threads for future publish. Threads with a future publish date are fine as long as they post when that future date is set. Threads that are set to future publish and I then need to 'Publish' before the set time (by utilizing the 'Moderation Actions' button at the top of said thread (utilizing the 'Publish' option)), do not hold a cookie that sets your read posts. By clicking the 'Unread Posts' button, no matter where you were/are in the thread, you are taken to the first post.

I have inspected this on several browsers and it is not browser specific.

As an aside, there is no 'Publish' option in the 'Moderation Actions' at the bottom of a thread.

I hope my explanation is somewhat clearer than mud.

TYIA for your attention to this matter. 🍻

Example:

I create a thread, set a future publishing date. I set the date beyond my intended publish date because I can't possibly know the exact time I will have to publish it. On the date in question, I move it to the proper forum just before I am set to publish it. When the time arrives, I publish it via the  'Moderation Actions' button at the top of said thread. Thread publishes. Users post to thread. Thread does not track unread replies for users. Every time they click on a, 'Go to first unread post' button, they are instead taken to the first page/post of said thread.

I hope this is a bit more clear, let me know if not.

Edited by My Sharona

• 10 months later...

With this last version (4.7.13) this issue has returned.

I have discovered that it only happens when you use the "Publish" via the 'Moderation Actions' button at the top of said thread. If you go into the OP and adjust the date to a minute from whatever the current time is, it publishes and indeed does set the last read function.

Additionally, I don't believe the aspect where the 'Moderation Actions' at the bottom of the thread, was ever updated to include the 'Publish' function.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2023 at 10:29 AM, Daniel F said:

Are you still reproducing this with the recent version?

@Daniel F No, the issue remains. No last read cookie is loaded.

I can't be sure (I'm not sure this existed previously) but I think there is a slight difference now though. When going to a thread that has been published ahead of schedule by using the moderation actions function at the top of the thread, while still going to the first page of the thread, regardless, it will now insert the Unread Replies line. Which is somewhat helpful, as it will let you know where you left off but is not how it should work.

Could contain: Page, Text

Additionally, there is still no Publish button within the Moderation Actions  button at the bottom of the thread.

Thanks for looking into this. Looking forward to hopefully getting it resolved.

Edited by My Sharona

1 hour ago, My Sharona said:

Additionally, there is still no Publish button within the Moderation Actions  button at the bottom of the thread.

That's correct, there's no such feature in the core

1 hour ago, My Sharona said:

I can't be sure (I'm not sure this existed previously) but I think there is a slight difference now though. When going to a thread that has been published ahead of schedule by using the moderation actions function at the top of the thread, while still going to the first page of the thread, regardless, it will now insert the Unread Replies line. Which is somewhat helpful, as it will let you know where you left off but is not how it should work.

So what you#re saying is:

You've created a topic which should be published in e.g. 2 weeks.

Then you have used the "Publish" link from the moderation menu to publish it and now you're seeing the unread replies indicator . Just to be sure, there were NO posts when you clicked "publish" ? 

3 hours ago, Daniel F said:

That's correct, there's no such feature in the core

Understood. However, and it's not a big deal either way but, it just seems like it should be, considering every other function that is listed in the top moderation actions button, are present in the bottom, moderation actions button.

So what you#re saying is:

You've created a topic which should be published in e.g. 2 weeks.

Then you have used the "Publish" link from the moderation menu to publish it and now you're seeing the unread replies indicator . 

Correct. 

Just to be sure, there were NO posts when you clicked "publish" ? 

Yes... as you can not post to a thread that hasn't been published yet.

• 2 months later...