How to stop gallery feed block from cropping thumnails?

FZ
Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

As per title, can anybody tell me how to modify the template to stop the thumbnails from being cropped into landscape? I only want to show a single image drawn from a gallery of mixed orientation images on a sidebar. There's no need for this cropping. 

Just now, Randy Calvert said:

I’m mobile so I can’t test this, but I seem to recall that those settings do not change existing images only new ones going forward. Have you tried uploading a few new images since the change?

No, this is a historical gallery I want to show. 

Surely it must be possible to show an uncropped thumbnail somehow? 

5 minutes ago, FZ said:

Surely it must be possible to show an uncropped thumbnail somehow? 

That depends. Are there uncropped thumbnails saved in the system or not. That would be the first thing to check. If yes, there might be a way to access them. If not, the widget it irrelevant. It can’t load, what doesn’t exist. 

When I turned off the square thumbnails setting (which weren't square but rectangular), I asked the system to re-build the gallery, which it said it was doing. There are some 3000 images in the gallery in total. I'm assuming that this "re-build" means it is re-building thumbnails? If not then what is it re-building? 

I haven't used the gallery in a long time. Starting to remember why. 

Template customization help isn’t part of the IPS support. 

But I had a look. The gallery image feed widget uses background images with the background-size property set to “cover”. That’s why the images are cropped. So, if uncropped thumbnails are saved, the widget would need to be customized to show the images with the background-size property set to “contain”. That would fix it. 

Edited by opentype

• Solution

Its in CSS you would likely want to change this if you wish to customise how things are shown on your site. As mentioned above, this would be beyon dthe scope of technical support for the prouct. If you are unsure on how to add CSS to make changes, you would need to employ a theme designer to make those changes on your behalf. 

You would not see unedited CSS by the way. Only custom CSS is shown. So you would generally inspect the item using inspect tools on the browser to see what you wish to target, and then add to custom.css whatever rules you need

Now that I have my block looking the way it is supposed to look, something else that is not normal seems to be at play. 

So the block is set to pull and display at random ONE photo from a category that contains over 700 images (not stored in any albums). I've been watching the behaviour of this block since I got it looking the way I want it and it seems to only pick from about 10 of the 700+ images stored in the category. 

I know that there is some caching going on somewhere, not sure how to stop the block from doing that, but surely it should pick randomly from the entire category? Is there a setting I am missing somewhere? 

Edited by FZ

36 minutes ago, FZ said:

Now that I have my block looking the way it is supposed to look, something else that is not normal seems to be at play. 

So the block is set to pull and display at random ONE photo from a category that contains over 700 images (not stored in any albums). I've been watching the behaviour of this block since I got it looking the way I want it and it seems to only pick from about 10 of the 700+ images stored in the category. 

I know that there is some caching going on somewhere, not sure how to stop the block from doing that, but surely it should pick randomly from the entire category? Is there a setting I am missing somewhere? 

Apart from what Randy mentioned, I would also recommend ensuring that you have selected each category. People sometimes do not select sub-categories and just the parent categories so want to ensure that each and every category you have is selected for this block.

Thanks. 

I've checked and double checked, it's a single (parent) category, no albums, no sub-categories. It really should be selecting from a big variety of images dating back at least 10 years, but it is limiting itself to a very small number of them. It shouldn't be this way. 

I spent the whole of last weekend getting my site updated with software and the theme I use. Now you bring out another update and once again it's telling me that my theme is going to break and that another application I have is going to require an update or it too won't work. All of which means that I must probably spend another entire weekend working on this website that doesn't actually make me any money. 

This is ridiculous. 

You software developers ought to know that your clients are not your piggy banks. Your job is to produce things that work. That is what we pay for. I am not going to keep on paying for things that constantly break and require me to fork out money for other bits that are no longer compatible with whatever unnecessary changes you have made to the thing that once worked. 

I feel like I am being extorted.