Notification emails fail to reach members who joined in with their Apple ID

Go to solution Solved by David N.,

I recently enabled Apple ID sign in to my Invision Community. Unfortunately, notification emails fail to be sent to members who which to hide their Apple ID email address from our community and are therefore using appleid privaterelay email. 

I looked it up and it looks like this could be due to a misconfiguration of the email? I read that "Developer has to register their domain with the Private Relay service else emails will get bounced." (source: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/649760)

Here's the error in the bounced emails (sensitive data hidden), which states (at the end) that my email address is an unauthorized sender:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

name-hidden@privaterelay.appleid.com
   host smtp2.privaterelay.appleid.com [IP-address-hidden]
   SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<dg2mr76cfx@privaterelay.appleid.com>:
   550 IP-address-hidden <prvs=0298becc2e=info@logicprohelp.com>:
   unauthorized sender
Reporting-MTA: dns; ldn-srv1.filteredmx.net

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: number-hidden@privaterelay.appleid.com
Remote-MTA: dns; smtp2.privaterelay.appleid.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.1.1 <prvs=nunmber-hidden=my-email-address>: unauthorized sender

2 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

It actually looks like an issue with your outgoing mail. Are you using apple mail for outgoing emails?

I use Apple Mail for outgoing emails I send manually (no problem with those). 

I use SMTP on my server for notification emails sent by the board (no problem with those either). 

The issue is only with apple's privaterelay.appleid.com bouncing notification emails. 

• Solution

Ok so I believe this issue is now resolved - at least the emails no longer bounce.

There's an important step missing from the Invision Community guide: you need to list the source domain, subdomain and emails you use to send emails to privaterelay.appleid.com in the Services tab of the Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles, or Apple won't recognize the emails and your notifications will bounce. 

The Invision Community guide should be updated to add that crucial information and ideally with updated screenshots to match the new UI of the Apple Developer portal.

1. Go to the Services tab of the Certificates, Identifies & Profiles:

Could contain: File, Text, Page, Webpage
  2. Enter any domain, subdomain and email sources used for email communication with Apple's private relay service:

Could contain: Text, Page, File, Document, Webpage

• 4 weeks later...