Caching and views/hits increase

Ibai

Hi there!

I see that whenever I increase the caching time method, it obviously misses lots of views=views++;

It make sense, for the sake of the optimization and performance.

However, is there a way to just leave and execute this kind of update queries? I have lots of Guests and I try to cache the most I can. Then, I see that my articles, files, topics hits are very low comparing with what Google Analytics then reports.

This set up then reflects in confidence from my visitors. They might think that my content is not good enough or even the content that they post is not being read as much as they see.

Is there any way to "change" this behavior? What's your opinion?

Cheers,

Ibai

On 10/24/2022 at 10:14 PM, Randy Calvert said:

In 4.7.4, guest page caching is being removed.

How does this work? Should I integrate with Cloudflare and try to cache when there's no cookie set?

Anyhow, this keeps my issue. How do you work with views? Cache brakes the increase of hits so the views number is not sharp...

8 minutes ago, Ibai said:

How does this work? Should I integrate with Cloudflare and try to cache when there's no cookie set?

Anyhow, this keeps my issue. How do you work with views? Cache brakes the increase of hits so the views number is not sharp...

The first question is do you really need guest page caching?  Don't make things more complicated than you need them to be.

Next...  if you do, if a page is served from cache, it won't increment the counter for page views.  (That's literally the whole benefit of guest page caching...  that they never trigger the origin in the first place.)  That's by design and something that   can't change.  

I just started using Cloudflare caching for guest pages. I deliberately excluded a few areas like articles where I need the view count. It’s very easy to define this in Cloudflare. But for 90% of the site, the accuracy of the view count really doesn’t matter much. And it’s not like caching turns the view count off. It just reduces the view count a little. The views that matter are probably the ones from the active members, which still count. But whether a topic was hit once or twice during your cache time by one or two guests, I don’t think it makes a big difference. 

Unfortunately, there is no middle ground. Either you cache it or not. You can’t cache it and still count the views. 

There’s a great way to utilize the cloudflare workers for the guest page counts, so that the page count is increased even if the guest gets only the cached page and the original request never makes it to your own server. 
It’s going to take some time, but I’ll share the instructions ( or app) in few weeks 

• 5 months later...
On 10/26/2022 at 5:37 PM, Daniel F said:

There’s a great way to utilize the cloudflare workers for the guest page counts, so that the page count is increased even if the guest gets only the cached page and the original request never makes it to your own server. 
It’s going to take some time, but I’ll share the instructions ( or app) in few weeks 

Did you ever get a chance to do this?