Post/Rep Counts Inconsistency

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

We are seeing inconsistent post counts on Leaderboards, Hovercards, and Member pages. These appear to be sourced from different DB tables/cols, or the storage may be bugged.

Specifically, the same member can show different 'POSTS' counts in the same Leaderboard among "Most Rep", "Most content", and "Most posts". And they can also be different on hovercards and profiles.

We have recounted posts/rep and rebuilt Leaderboards.

The leaderboard data has the ability to be different than what is on the user's profile, yes. The Leaderboard can break things down by a time period, content, etc...  Could you please provide examples? We can then take a look what is happening. The Leaderboard will only count what is in the database as well. If you inflated user accounts to being larger than what is in your database, these would not reflect in the Leaderboard.

I'm seeing inconsistent post counts among different sections of the leaderboard, and all are somewhat inconsistent with this data on hovercards and profiles for most members (particularly those having been in the community for a long time, like staff).

On leaderboard > "Top members", "Most reputation" and "Most content" appear to be consistent but different from "Most posts" (in some cases very different). Specifically, staff seem to have more post counts in "Most posts" than in the other sections, while the opposite tends to be the case for regular members.

Profiles, hovercards, and leaderboard "Most reputation" and "Most content" seem to be consistent, so the problem area seems to be "Most posts" on leaderboards. The data appear to be coming from a different source or using a different query.

I was hoping to find a recount/rebuild function to correct this in the ACP, but none of them seem to work (Achievements recount and Members > Member Profile > Posts > Recount > Recount for all members).

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Thanks for merging this from the other topic. I forgot I had posted this one.

Edited by z929669

2 hours ago, Jim M said:

The leaderboard data has the ability to be different than what is on the user's profile, yes. The Leaderboard can break things down by a time period, content, etc...  Could you please provide examples? We can then take a look what is happening. The Leaderboard will only count what is in the database as well. If you inflated user accounts to being larger than what is in your database, these would not reflect in the Leaderboard.

I've combined your two topics here. Please see my previous reply above and, as mentioned, we'll need a specific example to look into this.

6 minutes ago, Jim M said:

I've combined your two topics here. Please see my previous reply above and, as mentioned, we'll need a specific example to look into this.

The specific example is provided in my last post. Here's a link to the data (be aware that staff don't participate in the rep system, so staff cards are missing from Most rep/Most content sections).

Nothing has been manually inflated, so the Leaderbboard > Top members > Most posts is significantly inflated for staff and deflated for members.

EDIT: Use cases are TechAngel85 and z929669 (staff) and sheson and Neovalen (members)

Edited by z929669

Do you have forums which do not count towards a user's content count? If so, this would be another intended discrepancy.

EDIT: I am also not seeing a discrepancy for those members. All numbers are matching what is on the profile.

Please be aware that there is rounding for profile cards 5,891 content would be 5.9k content on the profile card so it's best to view the profile for actual numbers if you are comparing actual numbers.

20 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Do you have forums which do not count towards a user's content count? If so, this would be another intended discrepancy.

EDIT: I am also not seeing a discrepancy for those members. All numbers are matching what is on the profile.

Please be aware that there is rounding for profile cards 5,891 content would be 5.9k content on the profile card so it's best to view the profile for actual numbers if you are comparing actual numbers.

I don't think so ... this is set under Members > Achievements now right? I looked elsewhere and can't seem to find the member post-count by forum setting.

It may have been set in our previous version (4.4.0) prior to upgrade, but that setting is likely n/a in 4.7.3

Looks specifically at z929669 and note the post count discrepancy on the leaderboard card under "Top members > "Most posts" near the bottom of the page, and compare that to my hovercard.

In fact, all post counts on cards in that section do not agree with the profile/hovercard data

Edited by z929669

1 minute ago, z929669 said:

I don't think so ... this is set under Members > Achievements now right? I looked elsewhere and can't seem to find the member post-count by forum setting.

It may have been set in our previous version (4.4.0) prior to upgrade, but that setting is likely n/a in 4.7.3

Looks specifically at z929669 and note the post count discrepancy on the leaderboard card under "Top members > "Most posts" near the bottom of the page, and compare that to my hovercard.

You would need to look at each of your forums for the setting under the "Post Settings" tab for the "Increase content counts?" value. That would indicate if the forum increases post content counts or not.

2 minutes ago, Jim M said:

You would need to look at each of your forums for the setting under the "Post Settings" tab for the "Increase content counts?" value. That would indicate if the forum increases post content counts or not.

Yes, we do have several admin private forums for which post counts don't contribute. But only staff can post in those, and with the post counts disabled, we should not get those counts (and neither should members). So it still seems like a discrepancy. Now, I cannot say if we had post counts enabled for a period before disabling them, so that might explain staff discrepancies. however, member discrepancies do exist, so that is not explained by this.

18 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Yes, we do have several admin private forums for which post counts don't contribute. But only staff can post in those, and with the post counts disabled, we should not get those counts (and neither should members). So it still seems like a discrepancy. Now, I cannot say if we had post counts enabled for a period before disabling them, so that might explain staff discrepancies. however, member discrepancies do exist, so that is not explained by this.

If there ever were forums in the history of your community that had the setting enabled that I mentioned this would take effect for. If you are able to provide us access to your ACP, I can verify what this is.

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

2 hours ago, Jim M said:

If there ever were forums in the history of your community that had the setting enabled that I mentioned this would take effect for. If you are able to provide us access to your ACP, I can verify what this is.

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

It will take some work on my end to configure SFTP, since we don't use/require it. If it's just a matter of ACP access, I have updated that info for you. Thanks for your willingness to assist.

• Solution

Looking in your Archived forum category, there were a few forums in there with content count increase disabled. If there was a content count rebuild during this process, this would account for what you're seeing here if the user had content in there. 

Additionally, while looking into this, your MySQL server returned an error due to too many connections so you will want to investigate that with your hosting provider.

On 10/22/2022 at 7:04 AM, Jim M said:

Looking in your Archived forum category, there were a few forums in there with content count increase disabled. If there was a content count rebuild during this process, this would account for what you're seeing here if the user had content in there. 

Additionally, while looking into this, your MySQL server returned an error due to too many connections so you will want to investigate that with your hosting provider.

Yes, I see how that's possible. Thanks for checking.

I use DO and maintain the server myself. What's the context that you got those errors? I didn't think you would be able to get SSH or phpmyadmin.

14 hours ago, z929669 said:

I use DO and maintain the server myself. What's the context that you got those errors? I didn't think you would be able to get SSH or phpmyadmin.

This would have simply been in execution of me using our software's ACP to look at various forum settings that I encountered this error.