Error When Upgrading to PHP 8.0 - Forum Not Loading

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

• Invision Community: Version 4.7.2.1
  • PHP Version: 7.4.30

• Plugins: None

• Theme: Default

When I attempt to upgrade PHP from 4.7.2.1 to 8.0 both the forum and ACP become unreachable (screenshots below). I have run the Invision Community Requirements Checker when switched to PHP 8.0 and don't see any glaring errors (screenshot included below). How can this be fixed?

Could contain: Text, Person, Human, PageCould contain: Text, Page, Word, File, Menu

Could contain: Word, Page, Text, Document, File

Unfortunately, I am not seeing any issues on the URL we have on file for you. You may wish trying to clear the cache by going to ACP -> Support -> Clear System Cache (the UI may look funky but it will function).

If you are seeing issues still, please provide us access:

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

18 hours ago, Jim M said:

Unfortunately, I am not seeing any issues on the URL we have on file for you. You may wish trying to clear the cache by going to ACP -> Support -> Clear System Cache (the UI may look funky but it will function).

If you are seeing issues still, please provide us access:

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

It is not currently showing any errors because I switched my server back to PHP 7.4.30. The errors occur when enabling PHP 8.0.

I have updated all my info in the client area ("Stored Access Information")

15 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

It is not currently showing any errors because I switched my server back to PHP 7.4.30. The errors occur when enabling PHP 8.0.

I have updated all my info in the client area ("Stored Access Information")

You would need to place your community in the environment where errors exist. We cannot assist, if the error isn't present.

There is a lot going on with your community. Your conf_global.php still had a hack from version 3 in it. We do not have a Firewall product, so I have removed that for you.

I would advise going to your Client Area and downloading a full set of files then extracting them to your computer. Then upload the contents of the "ips_****" folder to your server, overwriting what is there. Once that is done, please try again and let us know.

Before you continue, also check if you have switched to suPHP suExec for PHP. If you have, you may find the permissions you need a different. You are actually getting an internal server error when its tryign to run resources there, so checking what that error is in your server error logs will also give an indication as to what is going on.

44 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

This is indeed the firewall thing that is trying to run there which is a very very old hack. That code has been removed from your conf_global which means your site is now running. You do have recovery mode still enabled so you will want to disable that.

Thanks. I have not messed with the file structure since I switched to IPB via a conversion years ago. So there are probably some directories left over from then but I am not exactly sure what can/should be removed 🤷‍♂️

Should I still overwrite the current files with the latest version of IPB to clear up any discrepancies?

36 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

Thanks. I have not messed with the file structure since I switched to IPB via a conversion years ago. So there are probably some directories left over from then but I am not exactly sure what can/should be removed 🤷‍♂️

Should I still overwrite the current files with the latest version of IPB to clear up any discrepancies?

It may be a good idea, just in case. However, does not directly seem to be an issue.

You can compare the download from the Client Area with what is on your server to get an idea of what our structure looks like. Just keep in mind, that if you are using any custom directories outside the software or for holding attachments inside that software, that is for yourself to recognize.