(NE) Media Recorder

@Markus Jung

I don't use Blogs, so cannot develop for it - and purchasing it is a $100 outlay alone on my part.

I can easily add a basic check to see if the user is in the Blogs application and have the functionality available there, however adding granularity to the permissions requires purchasing of the application so I can see the code.

As noted in the information provided in the resource listing:

Future features are dependent on the popularity of the application - the following are items that are in mind, but not guaranteed to be included:

1. Expansion of the functionality out to other area & applications within the community suite

Hi.
I have the (NE) Editor content limits (v2.1.2) installed on my forum that limit the minimum word on the first post. My use case for this media recorder app is to overcome the word limitation for only those who prefer to record themselves.
So integration with the content limits app will be very beneficial in my case.

Edited by LiveG
1 hour ago, Nathan Explosion said:

You're going to have to elaborate. How exactly is any integration going to work, in your opinion?

Maybe a conditional statement in the content editor app. in my case, user must reach maximin word or one message voice. 

Edited by LiveG
  • 3 weeks later...

v1.0.3 is now available - change log is as follows:

NEW

• Added functionality to allow control over whether user can provide a file name for their recording.
  • Added functionality to allow addition of a file description for an uploaded file.
    • functionality provided to allow control over whether a user can provide a file description for their recording.
    • position of the description is admin-controlled - either above the player or below it.
    • a default description can be provided, and this will be used if the user doesn't provide their own description.
    • if a file description is provided (by user or by default) then the file will be added into the editor along with the description.

CHANGES

• Modified the post-recording upload process to be more guided dependant on settings.
    • A preview will always be shown - the user will then be guided to provide a file name (if allowed) and a file description (if allowed)

Not included in the change log, because I forgot I put it in:

• Very basic support for recording in Blogs
    • this is specifically to make the feature available at the initial creation of a blog entry.
    • it will not be available on edits, nor for comments (and reviews, if Blogs has a reviews option?)
    • there is no option to enable/disable the feature in specific blogs - it's either on or off for all blogs.
  • This is untested on a site, as I don't have Blogs - but the way in which I have developed this only really requires a quick look at a site running Blogs to allow me to do the above.
  • Anything further than this basic support for Blogs would require me to purchase Blogs, which is a $100 initial outlay with a $15 renewal and will only be happening if sales on this resource are sufficient to allow it.
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

v1.1.0 is currently pending approval...

NEW

• Video recording is now available
  • Media recording is now available in the following 'CORE' areas:
    • Status updates (not available for comments, at this time)
    • Announcements

CHANGES

• Language string changes

FIXES

• The 'Enable audio recording functionality' setting, when enabled, didn't hide the 'Allow user to provide a file name?' setting
  • 3 weeks later...

It allows users to record audio/video into the areas configured.

Any issue you had while you were using this previously are ignored by me, and you know full why.

Test it yourself - got an issue with the functionality, provide the reproduction steps, and the observed behaviours, so that I can look into it further.

Edited by Nathan Explosion
  • 1 month later...

@Nathan Explosion

Installed this app on an 4.7.8 install with all marketplace apps and plugins disabled to ensure no incompatibilities with any other app. Running PHP Version 8.0.28

I attempted to set up the app via the ACP as follows:

Could contain: Page, Text, File

Could contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage

When I click on the "Save" button the following error message is generated:

I tried various other settings and user groups with the same results.  I am not sure if I am missing some setup steps but as there are no instructions provided for this app I have to guess as to how to set it up.  If I am missing something please let me know, if I am encountering a bug please let me know how I might assist you in tracking it down.

Edited by Chris Anderson

Actually, that'll be an easy fix without even looking at the code.

If you are self-hosted and have access via FTP, edit the following file:

applications\neappmediarecording\modules\admin\recorder\nmrsettings.php

Search for viden and replace it with video - simple typo, and likely in the Blogs section of the processing of the form. Wouldn't have picked this up previously as I don't use Blogs.

Thanks for the purchase.

7 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Yup, just checked the code...line 780

$tempData['blog']['video']['limit'] = $values[static::$videnLangPrefix . 'blog_limit'];

If you're on Cloud, let me know and I'll release a bug fix.

I'm currently self-hosted and have made the appropriate code change and the app appears to be working as "expected".  Thanks for the quick fix posted above. 😀 

I was looking at where this app stores the audio and video files and it looks like they are currently stored in  "Attachments" along with every other attachment that the site saves.

I noticed that Adriano stores audio files in a separate location for the Profile Songs app which allows one to store those specific files in an S3 bucket if one chose to. Would it be possible for this app to have a storage location specific to this app as well?

No - the files are uploaded as attachments via the Editor in which you are located.

For example: in a forum topic/post, the files are uploaded via the editor - and therefore stored in the location for attachments.

if this was a completely standalone application, then I could do the above as per Adriano's application - but it isn't. I will keep it in mind for a future version, but zero promises.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

v1.2.0 is currently pending approval

NEW

• The previously provided basic support for Blogs has been extended to provide:
    • ability to restrict the use of audio & video functionality when creating a new Blog (functionality available for the Blog's description)
    • ability to restrict the use of audio & video functionality when creating a new entry in a blog
    • ability to restrict the use of audio & video functionality when commenting on an entry in a blog

FIXES

• fixed an issue where the "Available when..." permissions were not adhered to if enabling both audio & video, with the 'Audio' permission overriding the 'Video' permission (only observable if the "Available when..." settings were different)