Pages Database Cross Reference Help

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

I apologize if this is a stupid question but I know there must be a way to do this and I'm just not figuring it out.

I have a club which includes Street Racing, Offroading, PowerSports etc.. and I have a Database for each to hold articles.  Each of these Databases need to be able to link to something like the address field BUT with Offroading we just need the state since it traverses multiple cities..  same goes for PowerSports when it comes to the category trails.

I tried to create a database called Destinations and then proceeded to create select box with each state and I was hoping to cross reference the database from the offroad database and powersports database but drop down doesn't work when I do that.

Any suggestions besides creating the field in each database?

The destinations database would have to be accessible on the front end somewhere. So you would have a page for a destination for example. Thats how cross linking works. So lets say you had articles on 20 locations, you could add a cross link on your street racing articles which would cross link to the article for the locations they are in

38 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

The destinations database would have to be accessible on the front end somewhere. So you would have a page for a destination for example. Thats how cross linking works. So lets say you had articles on 20 locations, you could add a cross link on your street racing articles which would cross link to the article for the locations they are in

Thank you for your response and I have to apologize I'm still confused.

So if I create a database called Locations and then attached that database to a Page called Destinations.

Now I create records in the Locations Database for each State?

Title: Alabama (AL)

Now in my Street database I create a field that uses the Database Relation and I link to the Locations Database but when I create a record in Street I see the new field but there is no dropdown for the Locations (Database Relation).

I'm sure I'm messing up somewhere.

Was hoping the Address Field would of worked since its already defined and created and available all over BUT you need a full address and can't just get away with entering a state which is a bummer.

• Solution

Thats how you would do it if you want to use cross referencing, yes. In all honesty, what you are trying to do isnt really the purpose of cross referencing. I would suggestion just creating that field on each of your databases as a select field unless you do wish for people to be able to click to a state and see a state record

1 hour ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Thats how you would do it if you want to use cross referencing, yes. In all honesty, what you are trying to do isnt really the purpose of cross referencing. I would suggestion just creating that field on each of your databases as a select field unless you do wish for people to be able to click to a state and see a state record

Thanks Marc..  I kinda figured that but obviously adding all the states to a dropdown Field for each database (Powersports, Offroad, Street, etc) gets redundant and I was hoping someone could search for a state and it would show everything from all databases that have that state but I'm going to guess that won't work if I create the field per database.  I know, I'm always difficult and want to push the software to the limits and beyond. 🙂