Commerce PayPal renewal not processing

Go to solution Solved by iancassel,

We ran into this issue last year too, we have a member that has PayPal auto renewal turned on, we can see the payment processed, the Profile ID matches on the PayPal invoice and the customer data in Invision, it even says next renewal date is September 14, 2023, but its not moving him to the subscriber group or showing that his invoice has processed on the Invision side:

Could contain: Text, Word, File, Menu, Webpage

Could contain: Text, Label, Menu, Page

Could you please let us know the display name or user ID for this user? (feel free to message me if you do not want this public)

I believe what is happening here is that the PayPal reoccurring payment may have happened, hence the PayPal screenshot but it is not connected or failed to connect to your server. Checking this fully with the member will help fill in some missing info/questions I have.

• Solution
10 hours ago, Jim M said:

Could you please let us know the display name or user ID for this user? (feel free to message me if you do not want this public)

I believe what is happening here is that the PayPal reoccurring payment may have happened, hence the PayPal screenshot but it is not connected or failed to connect to your server. Checking this fully with the member will help fill in some missing info/questions I have.

hmmm, I think I fixed it. Looks like there was a temp connection issue when it checked his renewal, I reset it, waited about 10 minutes and then clicked the “check” button again and it synced and moved him into the subscriber group. Thanks Jim, hopefully if this happens again that will be the simple fix.

• 2 months later...

@Jim M @Marc Stridgen We're having this issue now on a regular basis. At least once per week I have to manually force the system to recheck with PayPal. Today we got an interesting one, the payment email from PayPal came in, it was a recurring subscription payment. I had a really hard time finding it on the invision side, I had to look for more details from PayPal because I identified which user it was (different PayPal email address than on our board). There is no invoice issued, last one was Nov 2021, and when I checked the PayPal subscription ID in Invision, there was a "recheck" option and it didn't do anything. I went through all of the steps again and clicked the "check" button once more (this was a button, not the hyperlinked text I clicked the first time) and it finally looks like it worked. How can we fix this going forward, it's causing us a lot of headaches. 

Could contain: File, Webpage, Text

@Marc Stridgen @Jim M yes, we've been using cloudflare for years, this always worked. Just had another one I had to manually check. Some recent update to Invision broke this. If Cloudflare was blocking something why do 90%-95% of them go through? Disabling Cloudflare is a non-starter as it saved us earlier this year from a DDoS attack. It seems like it's an issue with PayPal recurring payments. It never generates an invoice. PayPal just charges them because of the recurring billing agreement, and the invision suspends their account without checking for payment. I have to manually click the "CHECK" button, and that works, so if Cloudflare was "blocking" something why does the manual thing work? Can't a CRON job fix this please? Or is there an issue with invoices being generated on recurring PayPal payments?

Attached are a BEFORE and AFTER clicking check:

Could contain: File, Webpage

Could contain: File, Webpage