Ability to copy/paste animated gifs

One of my users has reported for the last year that they used to be able to just right click on an animated GIF, paste it into a post in a just worked. Since some upgrade I did last year, I don’t remember which version, that ability to do that on a PC in chrome does not work. It did not work in Safari or chrome on my Mac. However, I could do it from my iPhone. 

Can anyone explain why I can’t copy/paste animated gifs on a desktop, but I can on a phone?

3 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Cute GIF - Cute GIFs

How exactly are you copying and pasting? Do you have browser extensions? (try disabling those if you do)

"ctrl-click/copy image/paste"

Safari with 1password extension off. When I paste into the forum, it changes the file name/extension to image.png.

Could contain: Animal, Mammal

Might be a good idea to understand the source location too - if it's a straightforward GIF file in an IMG tag on a webpage, great.

But if it's a GIF file hosted on a site that doesn't like people copying the actual file, then they may have the GIF displaying in a pseudo way...split into separate frames, then animated using script. Right-click that and copy, you'll get a single frame image.

1 minute ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Might be a good idea to understand the source location too - if it's a straightforward GIF file in an IMG tag on a webpage, great.

But if it's a GIF file hosted on a site that doesn't like people copying the actual file, then they may have the GIF displaying in a pseudo way...split into separate frames, then animated using script. Right-click that and copy, you'll get a single frame image.

I posted my source above.

Just now, Zone Plate said:

He is using chrome on both machines. One is an older laptop with windows 8.1. The other is an up-to-date, IT controlled, work machine running windows 10 pro.

I am running Windows 10 and Chrome. Both on the latest release? I know sometimes work machines can be a bit slow to release updates to their users till they've tested them.

11 minutes ago, Jim M said:

I am running Windows 10 and Chrome. Both on the latest release? I know sometimes work machines can be a bit slow to release updates to their users till they've tested them.

I have that release too. Works for me. Does not for him.

And as I said earlier, does not work for me on MacOS, but does on iOS.

12 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Just to confirm that we're comparing apples to apples here. Are you seeing this work on your Windows PC on your community? Just want to ensure that if you're only seeing it here, that we also have your user test here as well.

Summary:

1. One year ago, I received a complaint that animated gifs could no longer be copied/pasted after an IPB update. He did this all the time. After the update it hasn't worked since.
  2. 12 months later... Same user reminds me that it still doesn't work in my community.
    1. Doesn't work for Chrome on Win 8.1 nor Chrome 104.0.5112.81 Win 10 pro.
  3. Works for me in my community on iOS 15.6.1
  4. Does not work for me in my community nor yours MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3 Safari or Chrome (latest version)
  5. Win 10 latest chrome/firefox DOES work for your community. Neither works for my community.

I am using imagemagic and the extension is installed on my server per phpinfo.

Just now, Zone Plate said:

Summary:

1. One year ago, I received a complaint that animated gifs could no longer be copied/pasted after an IPB update. He did this all the time. After the update it hasn't worked since.
  2. 12 months later... Same user reminds me that it still doesn't work in my community.
    1. Doesn't work for Chrome on Win 8.1 nor Chrome 104.0.5112.81 Win 10 pro.
  3. Works for me in my community on iOS 15.6.1
  4. Does not work for me in my community nor yours MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3 Safari or Chrome (latest version)
  5. Win 10 latest chrome/firefox DOES work for your community. Neither works for my community.

Believe we're getting a lot of crossing here. We established that Win 11 and Chrome works here on our community but you mentioned that your user is having issues. Let's please have them test in our test posting section.

If it works for your user here, then this would be something on your server, as my colleague mentioned, that either GD or Imagemagick is causing an issue for you. As it does not appear to be something with the software itself or you would also be having issues here performing the same function.

Let's just ignore MacOS for the time being.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

Believe we're getting a lot of crossing here. We established that Win 11 and Chrome works here on our community but you mentioned that your user is having issues. Let's please have them test in our test posting section.

If it works for your user here, then this would be something on your server, as my colleague mentioned, that either GD or Imagemagick is causing an issue for you. As it does not appear to be something with the software itself or you would also be having issues here performing the same function.

Let's just ignore MacOS for the time being.

He says the forum doesn't give him permission to post in this topic.

• 4 weeks later...

I've taken a look at this and it seems to be a browser / operating system issue, rather than an issue with the software specifically. I can reproduce the issue in Gmail and other applications / services as well. I'm seeing various reports of similar from other people, as well.

That being the case means that unfortunately there is not much we can do about this particular issue other than wait for an update to fix it.

Everywhere I have looked suggests saving the gif to your computer first, then manually upload it, rather than trying to copy it in its entirety.

I wish I had better news for you.