server migration and now driver error

Hi -

I'm still on 3.3.4 and will be upgrading soon with the help of a third party expert.  I was notified by my hosting service in July that my DV was approaching end of life.  They did a migration to a new DV and gave me as much time as I wanted to make sure all the files had moved over. Yep, all was great and I used some form of a cmd on windows to ensure my installation was in fact working on the new server.  yes.  All set.  For 10 days, everything worked wonderfully on the new server. Then I contacted the host and requested they close the old server.  As soon as it was closed, I started getting a database driver error. See the attached image.

I called the hosting service and relayed what happened and they said that most probably the database files have to be reconfigured to point to the new server.  Anybody have any clues what files I need to fix?  The conf_global.php file says localhost.

I can open my acp right now. 

Thanks for any insights you might have.

Could contain: Text, File, Page

If you moved to a different host, your conf_global.php file (located in the root folder of your IPB instance) should be updated to reflect the correct mySQL hostname, mysql username, and mysql password provided by your new hosting provider.  

<?php

$INFO = array (
  'sql_host' => 'localhost',
  'sql_database' => 'MYSQLDB_NAME',
  'sql_user' => 'MYSQLDB_USER',
  'sql_pass' => 'MYSQLDB_PASSWORD',
  'sql_port' => 3306,

IPS won't be able to tell what info to enter in those fields...  that would need to be provided by your host.  But that's where the database info is entered.  🙂 

Edited by Randy Calvert

2 minutes ago, TracyIsland said:

okay, I'll look at that but the weird thing is that for over 10 days, the new server and the copied db's were working

It's possible your old conf_global had a hard coded IP address or hostname pointing to your old host.  When they deleted the old account, it was removed.  The screenshot you posted showed the domain being www.glrf.info.  When I look up that domain, I get an NXDOMAIN error meaning there is no DNS records configured for that domain.  So it's also possible a DNS configuration issue is also in play if that is your domain as well.  

Just now, Randy Calvert said:

It's possible your old conf_global had a hard coded IP address or hostname pointing to your old host.  When they deleted the old account, it was removed.  The screenshot you posted showed the domain being www.glrf.info.  When I look up that domain, I get an NXDOMAIN error meaning there is no DNS records configured for that domain.  So it's also possible a DNS configuration issue is also in play if that is your domain as well.  

aha!  okay, I'll look at that

It looks like I can reach your site now...  

However when I try to access the forum, it does not display any content.  

https://www.glrf.info/alloars/forum/298-general-discussion-forums/

So it looks like you're moving in the right direction.  Just looks like some info might be missing from your database.  

I take that back...  now I can't access anything at all for the domain.  It looks like the server is coming up and down.  There is something definitely going on with your hosting provider.  

3 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

aha!  okay, I'll look at that

the website and the ips board is back online but only because the hosting company restored the old server.

the support guys are saying that there is a file buried deep in the ips files that is pointing to the old ip address. They promised to send an email detailing the file but it's been 2 hours and nothing received.  

I called support again and the new guy said that although he is not familiar with IPS products, given what I have said, that the website was operating on the new server and new records and topics were created, and that it went down when the old server was removed, that points to a hard coded connection string in some php file that points to the old server but still allows the new server to save data from new topics created.  That is the most concise description I can give but clearly I need to find that setting in the IPS files to fix this.

@JimM  I understand although it is a bitter aftertaste since I have been paying for an IPS license all along.  I realize you had to move on to 4.x and you wanted to create an incentive to get everyone on the new platform.  All I can say is I am trying to upgrade but this is a huge thorn in my side.  

Are there any developers in the community who would be willing to look at this for a fee?  

Thanks.