Group Promotion or Subscription for X Amount of Time Manually?

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Hey All,

Trying to see what the correct workflow for promoting someone to a group is manually. I assume it has to be done via subscriptions in Commerce?

Could contain: Text, File

What is our use case?

We accept currency via Patreon instead of our current forum currently (still working on our live conversion) and we manually give people an upgrade and an expiration date when a Patreon pledge comes in every month. Trying to replicate the same thing in IPB.

It seems if I do "Free Forever", I can then go in manually and add an expiration date. I do not want the board to currently invoice or pester the member about anything, we are just trying to handle the automation of groups. After we finish our live conversion in the future, we will see about doing our own Patreon plugin or see if an existing one on the marketplace is updated or move to commerce, but currently manual is the way to go as we've already been doing it that way for years and we don't want to delay any more then we have to.

• Solution

If an expiration is set in the system, it will try to invoice the client when the purchase expires. I'm afraid, there is no way around this as this is how Commerce is designed to function.

"Free Forever" will just provide them with a subscription with no expiration. However, you setting the expiration manually will still cause an invoice to be issued upon the renewal period.

7 minutes ago, Jim M said:

If an expiration is set in the system, it will try to invoice the client when the purchase expires. I'm afraid, there is no way around this as this is how Commerce is designed to function.

"Free Forever" will just provide them with a subscription with no expiration. However, you setting the expiration manually will still cause an invoice to be issued upon the renewal period.

Thanks, good to know.