Getting 403 error on main page

Semrush is an automated SEO scanning tool. It tries to run scans against a page to make SEO recommendations. 

A 403 error is a forbidden error. This means the server (or firewall) blocked the request. 

Is this a self hosted or cloud hosted site?  If self hosted, you need to check your hosting provider or look at your WAF to see why the request was blocked. 

If cloud hosted, it’s possible IPS’s automated bot protection is blocking it as it may be seeing it as malicious with the way it’s scanning your site. 

5 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Sorry, I should have phrased that better. I know what it is, just not familiar with its use 😄 

No problem.  I’m mobile so I’m not typing as much as I normally might. (Flying from DC to Miami so killing time on the plane but only via mobile instead of my laptop.)

I’ve actually run the tool, and had it blocked by Cloudflare.   In order to scan the site, I had to disable the bot protection while the scan was done and then re-enable. 

Edited by Randy Calvert

19 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

Semrush is an automated SEO scanning tool. It tries to run scans against a page to make SEO recommendations. 

A 403 error is a forbidden error. This means the server (or firewall) blocked the request. 

Is this a self hosted or cloud hosted site?  If self hosted, you need to check your hosting provider or look at your WAF to see why the request was blocked. 

If cloud hosted, it’s possible IPS’s automated bot protection is blocking it as it may be seeing it as malicious with the way it’s scanning your site. 

This is a cloud hosted site (hosted by invision). I have no issues, but only semrush does.

1 minute ago, Ant Media said:

This is a cloud hosted site (hosted by invision). I have no issues, but only semrush does.

I would recommend checking to ensure that these items are available to Guests. A 403 is a permissions error so if it is just these few URLs, it could simply be Guests don't have access to view them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2022 at 7:12 PM, Jim M said:

I would recommend checking to ensure that these items are available to Guests. A 403 is a permissions error so if it is just these few URLs, it could simply be Guests don't have access to view them.

All documents are available publicly to all guest users.