Need Help & Support! And maybe a "Keep your chin up!"

Go to solution Solved by MartinLawrence,

My incredibly customized forum:  https://sava.one

Why does it look so vanilla?   Because I created a new theme, and once I switched to it, my forum broke.  I've been trying to fix it myself for a couple weeks now, and cannot figure it out.

I have a backup of the old database and files.  I've tried to reinstall but switching to the backup database always breaks it.

What should my next step be?

At present it looks like you have a stock installation there, without anything else on it. Have you since reinstalled? Looking your current situation, restoring from a full backup really seems to be your only option here. What is happening when you restore? Are you restoring both files and database?

I have spent two weeks experimenting with restoring the database and file system. I decided it's best to cut my losses - I restored from a very old backup where the problem does not exist.

So now I have a new issue...  I restored from June 11, and the forum is up, but all apps are reporting as up to date; no updates available.

I'd like to have a stable install I can back up before I start making more changes.  Marc, could you remote in and verify everything is OK?   

20 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

However you could also manually trigger the rebuild from the ACP support section.  

I've done that dozens of times over the last two weeks.  I just did it now and the admin error is back - but the site did not break!

#progress

Nope.  Site broke.

https://sava.one

I hope Marc can figure it out... I'm losing all my motivation.

2 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

It looks like your CSS files are messed up. If rebuilding the cache did not fix it, my guess is there is either a file ownership issue or a permissions settings issue with your site files. 

!!  That may be it.   I'm a windows guy, and my site is installed on Ubuntu.

Would you happen to know of a link showing what the permissions should be?

Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol, Page, Word, Plot

It would be very very unusual to set htdocs entirely to 777. It looks like something else is amiss here, as you are getting EX0 rather than a permission error

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

10 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

Yeah, they disappear when I restore the database.   I'll restore both database and files and update the access details.  Thanks

@Marc Stridgen done!

Edited by MartinLawrence

• Solution
3 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Ive created a ticket on this for you to see if we can get things sorted

Is it solved already?  I noticed the site looking OK so I went into admin and flushed the cache a couple times - the site is still there!  🙂

Edit:  Just read the PM about the issue being solved.  THANK YOU!   Was it something simple?

Edited by MartinLawrence

Somehow some data was corrupted in the database related to theme image resources, it was likely related to how the database was dumped and imported. It may be worth checking that you're specifying the correct utf8mb4 character sets when importing/exporting databases.

Copied from the ticket itself. My colleague however corrected the problem on this occasion