Warning from MaxMind IP_NOT_FOUND

I use MaxMind for Commerce.

Starting somewhat recently, I discovered that every single one of my Commerce sales were suddenly requiring manual approval. When I looked at the details of the transaction, it gives me a MaxMind error:

Warning from MaxMind
IP_NOT_FOUND

Could contain: File, Text, Webpage

I couldn't find anything useful in my server-side logs, but perhaps I didn't look in the right place. Any ideas why IPS is (apparently?) not sending a valid IP address to MaxMind? 

Some other notes:

• I am using the proper 1.3 API of MaxMind. 
  • I disabled all MaxMind Commerce rules and this still occurs.

Thoughts?

Is your MaxMind subscription active? Are you using a reverse proxy by chance?

For anything further, we would require access to your community's ACP to investigate:

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

Hi @Jim M, thanks for looking. Client area is updated and ready for you. Yes, my MaxMind account is active. I verified it just now to be sure.

And yes, I believe I'm using a reverse proxy. My site is hosted on AWS Lightsail and it has a load balancer in place. Traffic hits my load balancer, which then distributes it to "n"-number of servers.  Currently.... 1. 🙂 

So yeah, I think that qualifies as a reverse proxy?  I hadn't thought of the load balancer being an issue. Any ideas how to resolve it? 

Thanks again

Edited by jwdenzel

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

Something on your server is providing proxy IPs for your users, which is what will be causing you issues there. You need to contact your hosting company to resolve this problem. In System->Settings->Advanced configuration, you can switch on "Trust IP addresses provided by proxies?" which may work around this. 

Thanks, @Marc Stridgen. I've enabled that feature and we'll see how it goes.

Honestly, I don't think it will. I previously tried enabling this option, but I don't think it resolved the store issue. I left it enabled for a day or 2 but disabled it because it was constantly logging me out. Mid-session I would get booted because my IP had changed. After that occurred like 5 times in a single day, I disabled the feature.

I'll let you know if it resolves the store issue. 

2 minutes ago, jwdenzel said:

sigh. My "hosting company" is AWS. It's all self managed. There's a load balancer involved. I wonder if it's that. 

My only recommendation would be to uncomplicate your server/network configuration if you're having issues with it. Alternatively, you can hire a server/cloud administrator to assist you. I'm afraid though, this is not a software issue so would be outside our scope of support.