ACP API Config Issue NGINX since Update 4.6.12

Hi,

I have this issue since I update to the newer versions of IPB:
Could contain: Electronics, Text, Screen

It was working fine before, but now I can't get passed this page.
I tried to add the needed file to the folder and gave it 755 permission but that didn't help.
I tried to use the "NGINX" config version that worked before without issues but that didnt work either, config:

location / {

location /api/ {
        if (!-e $request_filename){
              rewrite ^/api/(.*)$ /api/index.php;
        }
    }

rewrite ^(.*)$ /index.php;
    }

try_files $uri $uri/ =404;
}

^ ^ ^
This is also the default Rewrite config of my whole website settings in NGINX and it always worked in the past without issues, even with the API.

Any ideas?

Looks like this part of the nginx config is causing the issue...

location /api/ {
              rewrite ^/api/(.*)$ /api/index.php;
        }
    }

Could try removing that section, to see if issue persists or not.

I'll see if I can find the nginx config I used when testing nginx with IPS.

Edited by Daveo16

Just now, Marc Stridgen said:

This will have been moved here as its related to your hosting, not to the software. We dont provide support for your hosting in any way, and do not actually provide any rewrites for nginx. This is not related in any way to the way in which we do support. 

How can it be related to my hosting when it was working 100% fine before I updated to the newest version of your software?
Can you guys at least try to solve this with me or are you guys just gonna do the easy trickster and move on without providing any kind of support?
How is it that you guys don't have correct/downloadable configs for NGINX in 2022 like you guys have for Apache?
It's commonly used by a ton of people.

While I understand what you mean there, I feel you may be thinking of this the wrong way around. We would not test updates on the software against items (nginx rewrites) that we dont provide support for. I completely understand the frustration that it no longer works for you, however those rewrites arent something in which we have written.

17 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

Hey @ZLTRGO, sorry you are having a bit of trouble here. I reached out to you via email to see if we can help guide you in a better direction. 😊 

I am -100% interested in migrating my community to one of your plans, this must be a joke right?🙂

I want the API feature to work as before, it was fine with the rewrite rule on NGINX before the 4.6.12 update(could be also one before).
It can't be that you guys don't support NGINX 😞

This is one of the challenges that you take on when you decide to use something the way it's not intended.  Your choices are to do something supported, or figure out how to make your custom changes support whatever you're wanting to do yourself.  Unfortunately you're going to have to figure this out on your own.  

What are you even talking about? no one needs people that add useless messages to a post that doesn't help to fix the issue.

How am I doing something wrong/not use it as intended if it was working before the updates? They clearly did something and now are unwilling to help me with the issue.
The worst part is, that they're trying to "lure" you into their Cloud instead of finding a solution to this issue which is just a faeces move, no matter what. (Why write an E-Mail in private and not post it here? Because they don't want to look bad lol.)

Remove Old Private Support System > Updates IPB Software to newer version > Issues happen > Opens the new "Support Ticket" in Public Forum > gets moved away to "Self Host Community" Support where it gets buried and ignore by staff 🙂

This is just getting better in better, can't wait what the future of IPB holds!

Excellent E-Mail, pretty obv why they not just post it here 🙂 :

Hi there, this is Jordan from Invision Community!

I am reaching out because I wanted to see if you'd be interested in migrating your community from your self-hosted plan to one of our standard plans where we host. With our hosting, the server environment is controlled by us, plus we offer email support (so you wouldn't need to rely on posting in the community for answers).

Let me know what you think.

Edited by ZLTRGO

no one needs people that add useless messages to a post that doesn't help to fix the issue.

It’s not “useless” just because you don’t like it. Everything that Randy said was indeed reasonable and justified. 

NGINX isn’t supported, so if you have problems with it, you are not getting support (here). It’s as simple as that. Your only argument, which you repeat over and over again is that it “used to work before”. But that argument is flawed, because the fact that it used to work before doesn’t mean that IPS is responsible to keep unsupported features working. If anything, you were lucky that it used to work before. 

Let me try it with an analogy: You use a foot path along my house where I placed a sign “private property. Use at your own risk”. When I decide to completely shut that path down after a couple of years, you can’t say “but I always use that path. You must continue to let me walk there”. It doesn’t work like that. 

2 hours ago, opentype said:

It’s not “useless” just because you don’t like it. Everything that Randy said was indeed reasonable and justified. 

NGINX isn’t supported, so if you have problems with it, you are not getting support (here). It’s as simple as that. Your only argument, which you repeat over and over again is that it “used to work before”. But that argument is flawed, because the fact that it used to work before doesn’t mean that IPS is responsible to keep unsupported features working. If anything, you were lucky that it used to work before. 

Let me try it with an analogy: You use a foot path along my house where I placed a sign “private property. Use at your own risk”. When I decide to completely shut that path down after a couple of years, you can’t say “but I always use that path. You must continue to let me walk there”. It doesn’t work like that. 

Another comment that is unnecessarily and unhelpful for this issue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Instead of adding more support NGINX they rather "remove" support for it more and more?
Makes literally no sense since Apache market share is shrinking fast, NGINX is faster and more secure 🙂
But well, it shows they prob just aim to make self-hosting as unpleasant as possible so u go either use an old/slower software or ya know get their extreme nice Cloud Solution :O!!!

26 minutes ago, ZLTRGO said:

Instead of adding more support NGINX they rather "remove" support for it more and more?

Unfortunately, we have never officially supported NGINX. Any configurations, including rewrites, are solely on the server administrator to perform if you wish to use it. Throughout your use of unsupported items, you will need to modify your configurations if they break (whether that is from upgrade of NGINX itself or our software). If this is something you do not wish to perform, currently the only options are to use Apache or switch to our Cloud as these will come with supported resolutions for you.

If you want to see NGINX support in the future, like anything else, you're more than welcome though to post any feature suggestion changes you wish in our Feature Suggestion forum.

I understand you are frustrated by the lack of official support of NGINX but an explanation has been given to you by our staff and your peers plus you have voiced your opinion on that. You're welcome to post here to receive support on your NGINX configuration in an unofficial support capacity but anything else has run it's course and this topic will be locked. Thank you for your understanding.

@Jim M & @Marc Stridgen
I switched to Apache now for further testing, but it still does not recognize the .htaccess...

I'm clueless what could cause this, maybe some config file or DB entry is not getting update?
File permission is 755, everything else is working fine.

Can you let me know where those kinds of "settings" are save?

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

14 minutes ago, Jim M said:

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

ACP Logins should be updated.

51 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Unfortunately, it is failing to provide a directory listing. Please double check and contact your hosting provider/server administrator for assistance.

Can u elaborate what you mean with "directory listing"? I host this on my own bare metal. 😮

1 hour ago, Randy Calvert said:

Try logging in with the credentials you provided them. If you can’t get a directory listing, it means the server accepts the username and password but does not show them any files. 

Thanks, maybe I should have left it out completly since they only have access to the specific website folder, thats whats prob causing the issues (i hope at least it was that)

3 hours ago, Jim M said:

Unfortunately, it is failing to provide a directory listing. Please double check and contact your hosting provider/server administrator for assistance.

Can you please try again? just login with not default path 😮