Trim spaces before and after text entry, and remove double line returns

Interferon

One nice features of Github's markdown implementation is that it automatically removes double-line returns between paragraphs, and lines before and after the text content. This makes it so you never have those annoying errors that mess up the paragraph spacing.

You know what I mean?

People make these kind of errors all the time. I don't want to go in and edit their content to remove such a minor and common mistake, but it makes things look ugly.

Edited by Interferon

If you missed this in the ACP under Customization>Editor Settings you can choose to start a new paragraph with each return or go to the next line, which will omit that space between.

Could contain: Text, Word, Number, Symbol

If this is not what you're after then it needs to move on the IPS team to determine the mitigation 🙂

25 minutes ago, Interferon said:

I'm using it now, but it looks like it doesn't work for blog entries (and probably some other things).

Reach out to the developer and see if he is willing to expand it, or whether there's a bug preventing it from working across the suite 🙂

I definitely agree with Interferon. I have the "Trim empty lines in posts" add-on and it's great, but it doesn't always work, and this is something that should be built-in really. Like @Interferon, I spend an insane amount of time editing user posts to remove those double lines. Or 1 line plus one paragraph like this next one. 

See that? That was a shift-enter and then enter. 

That one is two enter. 

These have become an issue since switching to Invision Community. 🙄

@Interferon

Did you miss Davyc's post telling you how to change the behaviour of your site?

On 6/11/2022 at 4:46 AM, Davyc said:

If you missed this in the ACP under Customization>Editor Settings you can choose to start a new paragraph with each return or go to the next line, which will omit that space between.

Could contain: Text, Word, Number, Symbol

If this is not what you're after then it needs to move on the IPS team to determine the mitigation 🙂

10 hours ago, My Sharona said:

Did you miss Davyc's post telling you how to change the behaviour of your site?

That's not a solution to this problem. That doesn't prevent people from leaving too many empty lines before or after what they write. 

3 hours ago, Davyc said:

@Interferon I reached out to the plugin developer and he has extended the support of the plugin to cover blogs, etc and has submitted it to the marketplace for approval, so keep an eye out for the update🙂

Would it be possible to select to which sections apply the plugin? I would like to have it for some of the forum's sections but not for others. Thanks!

Edited by Balto

3 minutes ago, Balto said:

Would it be possible to select to which sections apply the plugin? I would like to have it for some of the forum's sections but not for others. Thanks!

You would need to reach out to the developer and ask if this would be possible - it may be 🙂