Do I need to create an app to share links on Facebook?

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

I shared a link to a page (built using Pages) on Facebook but the og:image does not show up on Facebook. When I use the sharing debugger on Meta I see: 

Missing Properties
The following required properties are missing: fb:app_id

Does that mean I need to create a Facebook app so that I can add an og:app_id to the page before the image will show up in Facebook?

6 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

You can add share images in your admin CP by visiting Customisation->Appearance->Icons and logos

Thanks. However here I've set up an og:image in the meta tags, that's the one I want to be displayed. 

When using Facebook's sharing debugger tool, I am seeing that the og:image provided in the core software is being used in the link preview (note: I've blurred specific information about your community just in case you don't want that public):

Could contain: Text

Here is the tool: https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/

If you're seeing something different and are using custom meta tags or a third party application, I'm afraid, that would be outside our scope of support. However, if you are not, please share the URL you're attempting to share and we can review.

The URL I'm trying to share is https://www.logicprohelp.com/logic-pro-book/ and I entered a different og:image:secure_url using Invision Community's Live Meta Tag Editor.

The debugger shows the correct image (https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.logicprohelp.com%2Flogic-pro-book). I shared the same URL again using another Facebook account and it showed the correct image. 

My problem is that when I share the same URL on one of my business pages on Facebook, it shows a blank image. 

I suppose that since the FB debugger shows the correct image, the issue has nothing to do with Invision Community. 

• Solution

This is due to you have overlaid the default tag with a custom tag. I would recommend deleting that in ACP -> System -> Search Engine Optimization -> Meta Tags. If this is not desired or changing it to one which is desired.

21 minutes ago, Jim M said:

This is due to you have overlaid the default tag with a custom tag. I would recommend deleting that in ACP -> System -> Search Engine Optimization -> Meta Tags. If this is not desired or changing it to one which is desired.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding a default tag? Apparently the image you had when sharing my homepage was just the first image Facebook scraped off the page, as my homepage does not have an og:image tag. 

When I go to ACP -> System -> Search Engine Optimization -> Meta Tags, all I see is the custom tags I've entered: 

Could contain: Page, Text, Document, File, Menu

10 minutes ago, Jamynee said:

I'm not sure what you mean regarding a default tag? Apparently the image you had when sharing my homepage was just the first image Facebook scraped off the page, as my homepage does not have an og:image tag. 

When I go to ACP -> System -> Search Engine Optimization -> Meta Tags, all I see is the custom tags I've entered: 

Could contain: Page, Text, Document, File, Menu

Correct. You have added custom tags so the default tags will not work as they would without them. You would need to modify/remove your custom tags if the current outcome with them in place is not what you desire. 

The "default tags" would be those which are automatically added to a page by the software. They will not show up in the meta tag editor but if you add any of the same meta tags or similar ones which branch off of a tag, it will cause the default tag to not appear.

19 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Correct. You have added custom tags so the default tags will not work as they would without them. You would need to modify/remove your custom tags if the current outcome with them in place is not what you desire. 

Oh ok I understand what you mean now. 

However the custom tag I entered is the one I want, only it's working half the time for some reason. But here the Invision software is doing its job correctly and I can see the og:image:secure_url tag is added to the page code as expected, it's just FB acting weird for some reason.