One member reports not being able to upload images?

Most of our members upload images on a regular basis without a problem, yet one member has problems uploading .png screenshots to our community. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't work for him. He sent me the image he was trying to upload and I was able to upload it without any issues. 

Here's what he is seeing: 

Could contain: Text, PageCould contain: Business Card, Paper, Text

Here's the log in my system: 

Could contain: Text, Page, Word

#0 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/File/File.php(398): IPS\_File::validateUpload()
#1 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Helpers/Form/Upload.php(748): IPS\_File::createFromUploads()
#2 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Helpers/Form/Upload.php(305): IPS\Helpers\Form\_Upload->processUploads()
#3 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Helpers/Form/Editor.php(725): IPS\Helpers\Form\_Upload->__construct()
#4 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Helpers/Form/Editor.php(176): IPS\Helpers\Form\_Editor->getUploader()
#5 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Content/Item.php(4749): IPS\Helpers\Form\_Editor->__construct()
#6 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Content/Item.php(4539): IPS\Content\_Item->commentFormElements()
#7 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(880) : eval()'d code(5207): IPS\Content\_Item->commentForm()
#8 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Theme/SandboxedTemplate.php(61): IPS\Theme\class_forums_front_topics->topic()
#9 /home/logicpro/public_html/applications/forums/modules/front/forums/topic.php(562): IPS\Theme\_SandboxedTemplate->__call()
#10 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(101): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\_topic->manage()
#11 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Content/Controller.php(50): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#12 /home/logicpro/public_html/applications/forums/modules/front/forums/topic.php(39): IPS\Content\_Controller->execute()
#13 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(153): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\_topic->execute()
#14 /home/logicpro/public_html/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#15 {main}

Have you tried uploading the same image this member is trying? Do you get the same error?

Ultimately, trying to understand if this is a user issue or a file/server issue. If you would like to provide us the file they are attempting to upload in a zip folder, so all metadata stays intact, we can test as well. (NOTE: we will also need access to the ACP as requested in your other ticket)

Unfortunately, I am not having an issue uploading this image as the user or your user provided. Either this was a one-time bizarre issue at the server-level at the time of upload and has passed or the image provided has been altered since it left the user's computer and is now not encountering an issue.

I would have the user try uploading again.

On 6/6/2022 at 9:19 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

I would say this is indeed likely to be the case. Ask the user to clear their browser cache. I can see from the image there that things are not all loading, which may indicate they are having connection issues

Ok thanks.

Now a new user has reported having issues uploading an image again. Here's what I found in the log: 

DATE/TIME	
TYPE	
06/08/2022 12:06 PM	upload_failure	DomainException (0) d3c52159e51c90ae878027501bdcf9b0	
06/08/2022 12:04 PM	upload_failure	DomainException (0) e25bcc965f96f4a267606f12a42459a5
#0 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Helpers/Form/Upload.php(748): IPS\_File::createFromUploads()
#1 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Helpers/Form/Upload.php(305): IPS\Helpers\Form\_Upload->processUploads()
#2 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Helpers/Form/Editor.php(725): IPS\Helpers\Form\_Upload->__construct()
#3 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Helpers/Form/Editor.php(176): IPS\Helpers\Form\_Editor->getUploader()
#4 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Content/Controller.php(2469): IPS\Helpers\Form\_Editor->__construct()
#5 /home/logicpro/public_html/applications/forums/modules/front/forums/topic.php(1196): IPS\Content\_Controller->_edit()
#6 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Content/Controller.php(2207): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\_topic->_edit()
#7 /home/logicpro/public_html/applications/forums/modules/front/forums/topic.php(1224): IPS\Content\_Controller->__call()
#8 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(90): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\_topic->__call()
#9 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Content/Controller.php(50): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#10 /home/logicpro/public_html/applications/forums/modules/front/forums/topic.php(39): IPS\Content\_Controller->execute()
#11 /home/logicpro/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(153): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\_topic->execute()
#12 /home/logicpro/public_html/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#13 {main}

I contacted the user to ask what happened, he said: 

I clicked "choose files..." and selected the screenshot from the desktop, got an error saying the file was too big (initially it was around 1.8 mb) and that the size limit was 763 kb or similar... Resized it to 1.2 mb but got the same error. Tried again a while later and it worked...

Just now, Matt said:

We can look at this a little.

The -600 error is "too large", so it looks like it's not failing gracefully if the image is larger than the allowed space via their member group permissions.

The max image size is 2000 kB per content item and the user was trying to write a one line answer along with a single image. 

47 minutes ago, Jamynee said:

Ok just now I wasn't able to upload a file. 

The uncompressed file is 516 KB and my upload limit is: Max total size: 48.83 MB

Here's the file I was trying to upload: 

display-quantize.gif.zip 493.28 kB · 0 downloads

Here's a screen capture of the error I got: 

image.thumb.gif.619cd47dfa15abbb9ca609312c204a9f.gif

Please remove your advertisements and try again. Minimal risk but want to ensure that there’s no JavaScript interrupting something here. 

Based on that error it looks like you're using ImageMagick and a recent update seems to have broken handling animated gif images (and the gif image in your zip is indeed animated).

Can you check if the issue happens only with animated images? You could also try switching the ACP setting from ImageMagick to GD and try uploading again the same animated gif. Does the issue still happen also when you switch to GD?

On 6/10/2022 at 4:20 AM, teraßyte said:

Can you check if the issue happens only with animated images? You could also try switching the ACP setting from ImageMagick to GD and try uploading again the same animated gif. Does the issue still happen also when you switch to GD?

You're correct, I use GD now and can upload animated .gif images again. Thank you! Is there any downside to using GD?