Sorry, an unknown server error occurred when uploading this file. (Error code: -200)

We have had our hosting provider increase php file upload limit to 5gb

We have just tried to upload a 2gb zip file to the downloads section and get this error:

Sorry, an unknown server error occurred when uploading this file.
(Error code: -200)

Hi,

No errors in the log files unfortunately. Will wait for tech support to increase the timeout limit but if anyone else has any ideas it would be great. As I mentioned the error appears as soon as we click the upload button.

Thanks again

Hi,

Host has made all of the changes but we are still getting the same error.

It happens instantly after clicking the upload button still

We still have nothing generated in the error logs.

I have attached a screenshot showing we have the correct settings in php ini.

Could contain: Text, Page, Menu, Calendar, Number, Symbol

You'll want to work with your hosting provider here to find the issue and resolve it, I'm afraid. There is an issue on the server which is preventing upload.

The system uses plupload and breaks things into chunks so long as the server can handle it.

They don't know anything about invision software so what information can I give them to help investigate?

They will need to know where to look.

All other applications work fine when uploading content to this website.

In fact all other sites (wordpress) on the server work fine when uploading content.

The only issue we have with uploading files to the site is your downloads app.

Thanks,

26 minutes ago, Unlucky said:

They don't know anything about invision software so what information can I give them to help investigate?

They will not need to know anything about our software to fix the issue at hand here. The issue is with the server processing the uploaded file. There will be server error logs which will detail this issue and they will need to resolve it.

There is more than just the server to consider as well.  For example, if you're using Cloudflare (or another cloud security solution), there is a limit on the Max Upload size allowed.  If you're using mod_security, it could possibly cause issues if it's configured to look at uploads. 

Basically you need to evaluate EVERYTHING between you and the server... including your full security stack.  That's something that would happen with your host.  🙂

Cloud flare was on so we turned it off and then asked siteground hosting to investigate.

They have bounced it back to you invision tech support:

Thank you for the update.

I checked the upload process and tested with a 2.9GB zip file. Looking at the process, there were only 2.9MB uploaded from the application and no indication of any server-related issues as far as I can see.

There are no errors logged and no warnings as far as I can see. While we would love to assist, we don't offer code-related troubleshooting or development services. We have set all requested PHP values to a high value and/or requested values.

I would recommend that you speak with your developer or the developer responsible for that functionality for further assistance. This is something that your functionality developer should be able to provide you with the information.

If they can recommend a specific setting that needs to be adjusted in order to resolve the issue, please let us know and we'll be more than happy to assist you further.

Kind Regards,

Arto Simonyan
Senior Technical Support

Have you switched Cloudflare off entirely?  (Meaning the orange cloud is grey)

Could contain: Text, Page, Word

Turning on bypass mode will not work as it would still flow through Cloudflare servers but just without caching.  Setting the proxy status to Off actually changes the request to 100% go directly to origin without touching CF.

14 minutes ago, Unlucky said:

I checked the upload process and tested with a 2.9GB zip file. Looking at the process, there were only 2.9MB uploaded from the application and no indication of any server-related issues as far as I can see.

To confirm, that there is no internet connection issues when uploading and CloudFlare is completely removed and not impacting this?

The fact that they are only seeing 2.9MB is strange, as mentioned, there is chunk uploading going on so I would check there isn't something interrupting this like internet, CloudFlare, a security system on the server like mod_security, etc...

Both the hosting company and ourselves cannot upload so not sure we would both have internet connection issues. How could that be possible?

Cloudflare is turned off.

I will ask them about any server security but this is the only one of many sites with an issue as already mentioned and they have had a senior tech troubleshooting so would guess it's not mod security either.

11 minutes ago, Unlucky said:

I will ask them about any server security but this is the only one of many sites with an issue as already mentioned and they have had a senior tech troubleshooting so would guess it's not mod security either.

While I too think the same with my own server at times, you'd be surprised how many times it is something specific to an account, a site, a folder, etc... which may create issues sometimes. Just this week, someone had something similar where it was preventing upload on just one site so it is worth double checking everything when you're having an issue 🙂 .

11 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Could you please also confirm if this is happening with a small file, rather than one of that size?

Hi, 

we have managed to upload a smaller file of 10Mb without issue but still cannot upload large ones.

We are hitting a brick wall now as nothing is making sense as to why we cannot upload the larger ones.

Hi,

We have all our settings in PHP ini set high as recommended.

Siteground techs say everything is set correctly their end and cannot see any issues

But we still get the same issue.

I also not in this topic that it is best to keep the limits low otherwise the file upload in chunks does not work:

So now we are totally confused. Is the error because we have set the limits too low / too high?

What would be the optimum PHP settings for this to work?

Yes, that's right. Having the limits set too high can be counter productive.

Take your PHP info values for example, you're saying that the upload process can send you a 5120M file, but PHP only has 360 seconds (maybe less than this if you use FastCGI) and 768M of memory to process it.

Changing your 5120M values back to around 8M should be fine and allow chunking to work properly.