Please be aware that Invision Community does not yet support PHP 8.1

I'm wondering why you've issued this warning today? I've been running PHP 8.1 without issues, and have been checking the logs for any issues, but see none. It's compatible, or I'd be seeing errors.

In fact, I see more errors in my php-fpm logs from when I was running PHP 8, then after I switched to PHP 8.1, and I won't even mention the awful speed scores I got from Google while running PHP 8.0. Downgrading to PHP 8.0 would cause my site rank to begin tanking again due to speed issues...it's been improving ever since switching to PHP 8.1.

Unless you can point to something very specific that would break by running PHP 8.1, I don't understand the new warning. Please explain?

New Dashboard Warning:

PHP 8.1

Please be aware that Invision Community does not yet support PHP 8.1. Please downgrade your PHP version to the latest release of PHP 8.0 until we have finalised support.

1 minute ago, sadams101 said:

I'm wondering why you've issued this warning today? I've been running PHP 8.1 without issues, and have been checking the logs for any issues, but see none. It's compatible, or I'd be seeing errors.

You will see an error when trying to split posts from a topic, for example.

Just now, Randy Calvert said:

If it's working for you, feel free to use it.  Just realize it's not officially supported.  If you run into issues and need official support, you will be asked to switch to 8.0.x to confirm the problem is not related to an 8.1.x compatibility issue.  

Well Done Good Job GIF by Robert E Blackmon

As we find things or find errors that have cropped up in support tickets, this is a gentle reminder that PHP 8.1 is still not supported. If it works for you, great, but please be mindful that if you run into an error and require support, we will ask you to downgrade to see if that resolves the issue since we do not support PHP 8.1 yet.

2 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Well Done Good Job GIF by Robert E Blackmon

As we find things or find errors that have cropped up in support tickets, this is a gentle reminder that PHP 8.1 is still not supported. If it works for you, great, but please be mindful that if you run into an error and require support, we will ask you to downgrade to see if that resolves the issue since we do not support PHP 8.1 yet.

You are very right. But it is also true that you are lagging behind. Unfortunately.🙂

I'll report any errors I see, but so far I've been running it on a fairly busy, large forum for at least two months...long enough for Google to notice anyway 😁, and so far the main thing I've noticed is improved performance.

Any estimate on when the update will come out that fully supports 8.1?

Edited by sadams101

Also note that once IPS announces support for 8.1 anyone using third-party apps will have to be assured each and every app is fully 8.1 compliant.  There will likely be a lag between official IPS support and every app getting updated (if needed).  There are lots of great new features in 8.1 that some developers may want to take advantage of to take their apps to the next level.  This upcoming PHP version will likely be a bumpy ride, but hopefully worth it in the long term.

I run over 25 apps and plugins, most are custom, and I did have to upgrade around 1/3 of them when I upgraded to PHP 8.0, but every single one of them seems to work fine with 8.1, so it seems to me the big leap was going from PHP 7.4 to 8.0, and the jump to 8.1 was not as big of a deal,

Edited by sadams101

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Feneroin said:

Hmm. I'm using PHP 8.1 since some months and countered any problems 🧐

That’s awesome. I’m glad it’s working for you. I know several others have reported various issues that have had to be addressed.  So it’s great that you have not managed to run into any of those yet. 

Once 4.7 goes final, it’ll mean IPS can provide support for it without telling you to downgrade to confirm it was not related to something they could not support (yet).  🙂 

• 2 months later...