'Record Comment Posted' Achievement Rule Not Unlocking For Records Associated With Forum Topics

I'm not sure if this has been resolved with the 4.7.0 Beta, but wanted to raise this in case it's flown under the radar - I'm currently testing the Achievements Rules and it seems there is a little bug related to the 'Record Comment Posted' Rule set under certain conditions.

I have a 'News' database on my test install (records are called 'stories') and it is set to post associated topics into a particular forum (let's call it the 'News' forum). I then set an Achievement Rule for:

• When [Comment/Reply is posted]
  • And [it is a Story Comment] THEN:
  • To the User Making the Post (in this case, the comment user) [Award Badge] AND:
  • To the User Who Posted The Item Being Replied To (in this case, the user who wrote the news story) [Award Badge]

The idea is that, a news writer will post a news story into the CMS, that creates both a Story record and an associated Topic in the forum (both of which comments exist as they are integrated). Then, another user will comment using the CMS (not posting a reply in the topic).

In this setup, no reward is given to either user.

However, I had a little think and changed the Rule so that instead it reads:

• When [Comment/Reply is posted]
  • And [it is a Post]
  • And [the topic is in the forum News] THEN:
  • To the User Making the Post (in this case, the comment user) [Award Badge] AND:
  • To the User Who Posted The Item Being Replied To (in this case, the user who wrote the news story) [Award Badge]

This works, when the focus of the Rule is changed to the Forum Topic and not posting a Comment on the CMS. While that is a valid workaround, it's not the experience I want to offer or incentivise (I want to reward people for going to the actual CMS Page record and post a comment there, and reward that behaviour - even if the comments are merged with the Topic [so technically it doesn't matter where a user posts the comment], I want to reward users for exploring all areas of the site).

I also wanted to test the Rule for when a topic is Copied to (News) Database and THEN commented on via the Pages CMS, but I didn't get round to that. I figure that might not work either, if the basic "post a comment in the CMS side of a linked record/topic" fails to reward users.

Again, not sure if it's something already seen and flagged for fix, but thought it was worth mentioning. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi Marc - a bit surprised how it can be seen as working as intended? As I mentioned in the OP, the specific Rule not being triggered is when a user makes a Comment in the Pages/CMS version of the article, not the Topic that is created from that article.

Just to clarify the actual issue:

• An article is created in Pages/CMS
  • This automatically creates an associated Topic in Forum - this is expected behaviour
  • A user that posts a REPLY in the TOPIC is not rewarded the Achievement - expected
  • A user that posts a COMMENT in the PAGES ARTICLE is also not rewarded - not expected

It is this last bullet point that I am flagging as a bug. Hopefully this clears up any confusion, but if the argument is that somehow IPB considers a Pages Article a Topic, then I'd have to disagree with that.

I appreciate that it likely isn't a simple fix to sort this out, but I would say that it is definitely worth fixing as it seems to be an unexpected broken element in your otherwise great Achievements system.