error 500 after upgrading to PHP 8

Hello,

I just had my webaster to enable PHP 8 for the community. We got an error 500 after that. 

We enabled 8.0 for WordPress and another domain in the same server and all went smoothly. It didn't work on Invision Community. We've reversed the installation to the previous php version and works fine again. 

I need help on this. 

Thanks

Edited by OptimusBain

Please see the following steps to troubleshoot this:

1. Please ensure that you're using 8.0 and not 8.1. You specified 8.0 for WordPress so just want to double check you are using 8.0.
  2. Please use the following file to ensure that your hosting provider or server admin installed all required modules of PHP to run our software: https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/7046-invision-community-requirements-checker/?do=getNewComment
  3. If the above are all good, a 500 Internal Server Error is very much like the check engine light on your car. It states something is wrong but not exactly what or where. Please work with your hosting provider or server admin to obtain the Server Error logs for this error and either resolve the issue (if it is server related) or provide it to us so that we can further assist you.

• 2 months later...
On 5/23/2022 at 6:33 PM, Jim M said:

Please see the following steps to troubleshoot this:

1. Please ensure that you're using 8.0 and not 8.1. You specified 8.0 for WordPress so just want to double check you are using 8.0.
  2. Please use the following file to ensure that your hosting provider or server admin installed all required modules of PHP to run our software: https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/7046-invision-community-requirements-checker/?do=getNewComment
  3. If the above are all good, a 500 Internal Server Error is very much like the check engine light on your car. It states something is wrong but not exactly what or where. Please work with your hosting provider or server admin to obtain the Server Error logs for this error and either resolve the issue (if it is server related) or provide it to us so that we can further assist you.

Jim, I've done what you requested.

• Uploaded IPS4.PHP file to FTP. The one I downloaded from 
  • Updated from 7.4 to PHP 8 in CPNEL
  • Run IPS4.PHP file to check server's requirements for PHP8. The check is all green and I still get error 500 when PHP 8 is installed 😞 See attachment.

I don't know what to do next. The text I can read does not say anything about php 8, only about IPS 4.7 installation.

Could contain: Text, Page, Menu, Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Poster, Advertisement

35 minutes ago, Daniel F said:

Is anything being logged to your error logs? It's probably a 3rd party hook which isn't compatible with PHP8

Where should I check exactly for these errors?

1. Error logs
  2. System logs

Error logs report. These errors are not recent, they are the last ones from more than a month ago. Some plugins that may have not been updated to 4.7 yet and are running in the system

Could contain: Document, Text, Page, Word

How do I know which third party plugin is the one not working according to the error logs? When I click on ERROR URL, ACP will not tell me which plugin it is 😞 Shouldn't it say at least tell us which one it is?

The URL does not give me a clue, I can see a file ID but how do I know which plugin it is? 

admin/?app=core&module=marketplace&controller=marketplace&do=viewFile&id=9784

Shouldn't the error show the plugin name that is giving the error and be more user-friendly? ACP knows the file ID is 9784, so shouldn't it be easy to show an error with the exact plugin name. Right now, I just don't know which one it is. File 9784. Who knows!

Could contain: Text, Baseball Bat, Team, Sport, Team Sport, Baseball, Sports, Softball, Face

Thanks a lot

Edited by OptimusBain

If it's a 500 Internal Server Error, it'll most likely be in your PHP error log (unless your server stores them elsewhere).

Those error logs you're looking at don't tell you that it's not working, just that the one you're trying to view (i.e. you've clicked a link to it) via AdminCP is not compatible with your current version

33 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

If it's a 500 Internal Server Error, it'll most likely be in your PHP error log (unless your server stores them elsewhere).

I will check that out then.

33 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

Those error logs you're looking at don't tell you that it's not working, just that the one you're trying to view (i.e. you've clicked a link to it) via AdminCP is not compatible with your current version

The same questions remains. How do I know which plugin is incompatible? I don't know which plugin the file ID belongs to. I guess ACP knows, it's just not telling us which one. Can this be suggested as an addition?

On 8/4/2022 at 2:37 AM, OptimusBain said:

Where should I check exactly for these errors?

1. Error logs
  2. System logs

Error logs report. These errors are not recent, they are the last ones from more than a month ago. Some plugins that may have not been updated to 4.7 yet and are running in the system

Could contain: Document, Text, Page, Word

How do I know which third party plugin is the one not working according to the error logs? When I click on ERROR URL, ACP will not tell me which plugin it is 😞 Shouldn't it say at least tell us which one it is?

The URL does not give me a clue, I can see a file ID but how do I know which plugin it is? 

admin/?app=core&module=marketplace&controller=marketplace&do=viewFile&id=9784

Shouldn't the error show the plugin name that is giving the error and be more user-friendly? ACP knows the file ID is 9784, so shouldn't it be easy to show an error with the exact plugin name. Right now, I just don't know which one it is. File 9784. Who knows!

Could contain: Text, Baseball Bat, Team, Sport, Team Sport, Baseball, Sports, Softball, Face

Thanks a lot

This is: 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I have same problem here, but for new installation, not upgrade

During installation process at the last step, progress bar is going fine and suddenly showing error 500 with any other info (see attached photo).

Then I've looked into error_log in the install folder and I've seen this

thrown in /home/arenagro/public_html/forum/system/Settings/Settings.php on line 180
[20-Aug-2022 01:35:39 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught TypeError: array_merge(): Argument #2 must be of type array, null given in /home/arenagro/public_html/forum/system/Settings/Settings.php:180
Stack trace:
#0 /home/arenagro/public_html/forum/system/Settings/Settings.php(180): array_merge(Array, NULL)
#1 /home/arenagro/public_html/forum/system/Settings/Settings.php(122): IPS\_Settings->loadFromDb()
#2 /home/arenagro/public_html/forum/init.php(1038): IPS\_Settings->__get('diagnostics_rep...')
#3 [internal function]: IPS\IPS::exceptionHandler(Object(TypeError))
#4 {main}
  thrown in /home/arenagro/public_html/forum/system/Settings/Settings.php on line 180

Can you please help?

Thanks

EDIT: Strange. This error happened with PHP 8.0 or 8.1

After I put 7.4 for the domain, installation went well. It is ok with 7.4? Or should I do something differrent? Thanks again

Could contain: Text

Edited by DENIS URLOIU

On 5/23/2022 at 5:51 PM, OptimusBain said:

Hello,

I just had my webaster to enable PHP 8 for the community. We got an error 500 after that. 

We enabled 8.0 for WordPress and another domain in the same server and all went smoothly. It didn't work on Invision Community. We've reversed the installation to the previous php version and works fine again. 

I need help on this. 

Thanks

Same problem from my side, I had to get back to PHP 7.4. Have you solved this? And if so, how?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, OptimusBain said:

Nothing. Same problem. My webmaster can't find why it's not possible to run PHP 8.0 with 4.7. It will give the 500 error. No luck. 

Damn! We can keep PHP 7.4, but I'm afraid somewhen the PHP 7.4 will not be supported anymore. Any solution here?

43 minutes ago, OptimusBain said:

Nothing. Same problem. My webmaster can't find why it's not possible to run PHP 8.0 with 4.7. It will give the 500 error. No luck. 

Don't believe we ever heard back from you about what error is being generated from that 500 Internal Server Error in your server's error log. That would certainly outline an issue.

34 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Don't believe we ever heard back from you about what error is being generated from that 500 Internal Server Error in your server's error log. That would certainly outline an issue.

The problem for me was that with PHP 8.0 I was not able to open the website AT ALL, so I could not even enter the AdminCP to search for the error logs.

• 1 month later...

Hello Support and community, I just updated my TEST environment, I disabled all third party applications, however when I make the change to PHP 8.0 I have a 500 error.

Checking the support module, I got the attached message, which would be the potential root cause. From what I see, that is not a third party application, but rather an IPS module.

I will appreciate your cooperation in this regard.

Could contain: Text, Poster, Advertisement, Paper, Flyer, Brochure

Thanks for the clarification, however it is disabled. I will remove it, since the developer does not have it with support for IPS 4.7.2 or PHP 8.

1 hour ago, Fred Mercury said:

Hello Support and community, I just updated my TEST environment, I disabled all third party applications, however when I make the change to PHP 8.0 I have a 500 error.

Checking the support module, I got the attached message, which would be the potential root cause. From what I see, that is not a third party application, but rather an IPS module.

I will appreciate your cooperation in this regard.

Could contain: Text, Poster, Advertisement, Paper, Flyer, Brochure

Error 500 follows when enabling PHP 8

Could contain: Text, Logo, Trademark, Symbol