Clicking notifications, will not always take you to the correct place in topic

Hello all. 

I am just wondering if anyone else has had the issue whereby if you get a notification of a new post in a topic, that when you click on it, it does not always take you to that new post. I have had a few members note this issue and will usually have to scroll up or down to get to the right place. We of course have taken note of the notification settings as displayed below.  Anyone else had any problems ? 

Thanks very much,
P

Could contain: Menu, Text, File

Is there more detail you can provide? Where does the notification take you? I.E. the first post, an unread post, the last post, the mentioned post, etc...

Also, it is worth mentioning, looking at your screenshot, you do have quite a few third party applications and plugins plus a custom theme. It may be worth disabling all these to see if they are impacting you here.

17 hours ago, panzerscope said:

you get a notification of a new post in a topic, that when you click on it, it does not always take you to that new post.

That could happen if topics contain images as reported earlier in this topic:

On 9/18/2021 at 11:40 AM, Luuuk said:

I noticed that "Content View Behavior" got worser. In some topics a landing point is not on the post it should be. I think it happens only in topics with posted images. For example in this topic: no unread posts, "Take me to the latest comment" selected, on the forum listing clicking the date of your last post brings me a couple of posts above... The effect seems quite random.

On 9/18/2021 at 11:47 AM, Adriano Faria said:

You can easily reproduce when you have a link to a post, like a notification. You’ll never go to right post. I haven’t realized it may be due to images, tho.

On 9/19/2021 at 3:02 AM, Ehren said:

Yeah, that's actually an issue with the default theme too and is likely caused by images which cause the page to jump when they load. This is typically fixed by assigning width/height attributes to images, but I'm not sure how difficult this is to achieve with uploaded content. I'll mention it to the dev's to see if they have any suggestions.

26 minutes ago, teraßyte said:

In case your reply to Marc's question is YES you might want to consider using this plugin instead:

Its not sorting that is the issue here, its leading to the wrong place. If it's a questions forum, there is actually an open bug report for it. Paging appears to be the issue

On 5/5/2022 at 6:17 PM, Jim M said:

Is there more detail you can provide? Where does the notification take you? I.E. the first post, an unread post, the last post, the mentioned post, etc...

Also, it is worth mentioning, looking at your screenshot, you do have quite a few third party applications and plugins plus a custom theme. It may be worth disabling all these to see if they are impacting you here.

I do have third party installations yes. I have not yet disabled them to see if that is the issue as they are part of the core experience, so disabling them for any period of time is something I have tried to avoid, but I will if needs must. 

On 5/6/2022 at 8:08 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

Could I ask if this is in a questions forum you are referring to?

No this would be in a discussions forum. 

Thanks!