Can I disable mouseover preview of topics?

Go to solution Solved by teraßyte,

• Solution

No, there's no specific setting to disable it. You can either edit it out of the template or have a plugin made to disable it. Going the plugin way will keep your templates unedited and any future updates to it will automatically apply, which is what I usually suggest.

If you want to edit the template thought just find this code in "forums > front > forums > topicRow" (line ~113):

<a href='{$row->url( "getPrefComment" )}' class='' title='{{if $row->mapped('title')}}{$row->mapped('title')}{{else}}{lang="content_deleted"}{{endif}} {{if $row->canEdit()}}{lang="click_hold_edit"}{{endif}}' {{if $row->tableHoverUrl and $row->canView()}} data-ipsHover data-ipsHover-target='{$row->url()->setQueryString('preview', 1)}' data-ipsHover-timeout='1.5'{{endif}}{{if $row->canEdit()}} data-role="editableTitle"{{endif}}>

and replace it with (basically remove the data-ipsHover attributes):

<a href='{$row->url( "getPrefComment" )}' class='' title='{{if $row->mapped('title')}}{$row->mapped('title')}{{else}}{lang="content_deleted"}{{endif}} {{if $row->canEdit()}}{lang="click_hold_edit"}{{endif}}' {{if $row->canEdit()}} data-role="editableTitle"{{endif}}>

35 minutes ago, teraßyte said:

No, there's no specific setting to disable it. You can either edit it out of the template or have a plugin made to disable it. Going the plugin way will keep your templates unedited and any future updates to it will automatically apply, which is what I usually suggest.

If you want to edit the template thought just find this code in "forums > front > forums > topicRow" (line ~113):

<a href='{$row->url( "getPrefComment" )}' class='' title='{{if $row->mapped('title')}}{$row->mapped('title')}{{else}}{lang="content_deleted"}{{endif}} {{if $row->canEdit()}}{lang="click_hold_edit"}{{endif}}' {{if $row->tableHoverUrl and $row->canView()}} data-ipsHover data-ipsHover-target='{$row->url()->setQueryString('preview', 1)}' data-ipsHover-timeout='1.5'{{endif}}{{if $row->canEdit()}} data-role="editableTitle"{{endif}}>

<a href='{$row->url( "getPrefComment" )}' class='' title='{{if $row->mapped('title')}}{$row->mapped('title')}{{else}}{lang="content_deleted"}{{endif}} {{if $row->canEdit()}}{lang="click_hold_edit"}{{endif}}' {{if $row->canEdit()}} data-role="editableTitle"{{endif}}>

Great, thanks a lot for the detailed answer, I appreciate it!

1 hour ago, teraßyte said:

That worked great. Thanks again. 

1 minute ago, teraßyte said:

I actually just submitted a quick plugin to disable the topic preview. It's pending approval here in the IPS Marketplace and already available on my site:

The plugin has only a setting to exclude certain forums, not themes though. Maybe I'll consider it for a future version.

Wow you're fast! That's great. 

I think if you're making a plug-in then ideally (if possible) it should have a simple switch for users to turn the preview on or off in their account settings. That way one doesn't have to create two themes just to change that setting. 

Just now, Jamynee said:

Wow you're fast! That's great. 

I think if you're making a plug-in then ideally (if possible) it should have a simple switch for users to turn the preview on or off in their account settings. That way one doesn't have to create two themes just to change that setting. 

Yeah, I was thinking I'd add a member setting to let everyone choose rather than excluding specific themes. Otherwise you'd have to duplicate all the installed themes. 😅