Database capacity

Go to solution Solved by Riccardo,

Hello Everybody,

My forum has a very low activity in the last months/year but my database seems to grow to rapidly..

I mean, if I check it on Monday it is at 54% of his capacity, and after about 10 days it's 100% full! So I must "optimize" it and it return to 54/55%..

What's the problem?

Hello Marc,

you are right! I tried to change manually the engine from MyIsam to InnoDB but for some tables I receive this error:

Errore

Query SQL:

ALTER TABLE `ibf_core_search_index`

ENGINE = INNODB;

Messaggio di MySQL: Documentazione

#1709 - Index column size too large. The maximum column size is 767 bytes.

If you are having issues with converting tables, you would need to contact your hosting company on converting those. Just to note however, if you do delete an index, you can go to the support area of your admin CP which will detect its missing and give you the opportunity to readd it if needed. I would advise ensuring you take a full backup if you are looking to try that

Hello Marc,

I contacted my hosting company and I will be able to do the changes soon.

In the meanwhile I monitored  "ibf_core_output_cache" table which started from 71mb at 9:30 am to 125mb at 10:30 am!!

Is there a way to keep cache under control avoiding this "abnormal" use of DB?

Edited by Riccardo

Thank you for the answer

What is the max size from cache table I must expect considering ibf_core_search_index is about 410mb,  ibf_forum_post is 380mb and ibf_core_message_post is 100mb?

What happen when the cache on DB will expire?

This could be a problem..because I'm forced to two options:

1) expand my DB and it is a cost for me;

2) keep cache under control which means loosing funcionality of the forum...

Edited by Riccardo

The guest output cache will cache unique views, so if you're getting more guests looking at more unique pages, the amount cached will increase. This cache is periodically truncated by a task (use Cron to ensure it's cleaned up often)

You can disable output caching with a constant OUTPUT_CACHE_METHOD, set to 'None'. - https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/advanced-options/configuration-options/using-constantsphp-r25/

You may see slower loading guest pages after changing this.

It may not. It depends on what amount of cache is then rebuilt. Also, if that task is not running, it may not be clearing at all. While Its set to run every 10 minutes, it is currently running with traffic. So if you have not enough traffic it may not clear at all.

I do have to point out here though that the sizes you were mentioning are not large in any way. 

• Solution

update:

the table is finally under INNODB engine, and it seems work correctly now.

The table increase then decrease its size regularly.

I will update u the next week during normal usage of the forum.

Riccardo

Edited by Riccardo