Subscriptions do not automatically charge cards on file

Go to solution Solved by Randy Calvert,

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if I'm doing something stupid here and missing something obvious.  

I've recently started taking subscriptions (renamed to donations in the language settings)...  all seems to be working and the initial payment is taken, however when the subscription renews, it never actually attempts to charge a card on file even though one is stored.  (I confirmed by checking the Stripe event logs and there are no attempted transactions.)

I saw this happen last month, but thought it might have been because the user had two cards on file (one expired and one current).  I removed the old one and manually clicked "Take Payment" on the invoice and it successfully charged.  

I had to wait till this month when another subscription renewed and am seeing the same thing happen.  Invoice #183 never attempted to actually take payment automatically and the subscription is "In Grace Period".  

Can you please take a peek and let me know if I'm missing something obvious here?

Edited by Randy Calvert

• Solution

In order to document findings from the development team so that others can learn as well…. 

This is occurring because we don’t collect address information from our users.  (We don’t require it for tax purposes, we only accept payments from full site members, AND we prefer not to store sensitive PII data such as name, address, phone number, etc).  

The dev is going to propose a change where that requirement could be skipped if there is no tax setup defined/needed.  

On 4/27/2022 at 12:58 PM, Randy Calvert said:

In order to document findings from the development team so that others can learn as well…. 

This is occurring because we don’t collect address information from our users.  (We don’t require it for tax purposes, we only accept payments from full site members, AND we prefer not to store sensitive PII data such as name, address, phone number, etc).  

The dev is going to propose a change where that requirement could be skipped if there is no tax setup defined/needed.  

Thanks for the update. This is exactly the issue I have been running into and was going to make a ticket for it myself. We also do not need to collect address information and would prefer not to store any PII.

I hope this can be addressed in an update soon, as I've had to manually go and charge people in the meantime.

@Jim M, can this topic be updated when a fix has been implemented?

Edited by Rennr

• 2 months later...